General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RRS Taking a Second or Two to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRS Taking a Second or Two to Start?

Hi there. I'm a long time LR owner, but am new to the forum. I currently have a 2008 RRS SC with around 110k Miles.

Also, I have learned a bit about the quirkiness of Land Rovers in my time, but I am not mechanically inclined in the least, so go easy on me.

I noticed last week that the vehicle was taking just a second to start after turning the key. It has done this before, but only if it wasn't driven for a while or it was freezing cold outside.

I kept an eye on it, and it got a tad worse throughout the week (taking a couple seconds to start). I thought it might be the battery, so I checked under the hood. The battery is a 6 Year Interstate Battery, but was not stamped with the date of installation (I have owned the RR for a little over two years).

I decided to take the vehicle to have the battery tested. The test showed the battery was fine, but needed charging. It also indicated the alternator was working normally. I thought this meant that I may have left an interior light on or door open, inadvertently (which I have done before).

I bought a relatively inexpensive battery charger and charged it for 7 hours or so, until the charger indicated it was complete.

I thought this would likely fix the issue, but it's still taking a second or two to start. I say a little prayer every time I get ready to turn the key, LOL.

*One thing that I did notice before I charged the battery is that one time when it was taking a second to start, the warning light came on for the adaptive headlights and stayed on for that short trip (a couple miles home). The next day, the light did not come on, and hasn't since.

Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I would start with making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Then move on the the grounds in the engine bay. Give the battery a charge overnight with the cables removed, the hook them up and give it a start.