General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Signatures and Food for Thought

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Signatures and Food for Thought

This is not exactly tech, but definitely not Off Topic.

Am I the only person who uses Google to search specific forums, rather than forum search tools? I find it often much more flexible with the ability to narrow a search by multiple key words and the ability to search for 3 or fewer letters.

Where it breaks down, or rather, doesn't work as well, is people who list a bunch of stuff they've done to their cars in their signature.
It's not at all uncommon for me to do a search for something, get a ton of hits, only to find that 99% of them are someone's signature, which, of course, is utterly useless for finding information.

As a totally random example, google:
magnecore site:landroverforums.com/forum

and see how many hits are a signature, vs how many are potentially useful information for someone looking for information here about magnecor wires.
Yes, it's spelled wrong, but you get the idea. (maybe that's the solution, spell things wrong in signatures. LOL)
I can see how it would contribute to some people not bothering to do a search before asking questions.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

some of the time i use google if im searching, otherwise im here to look at whats new. as for signatures i keep my info in there because a lot of noobs PM me asking me specific questions regarding things. otherwise i would jsut change it to 99 d2.