General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

smoke from the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke from the steering wheel

Tonight while driving a short distance (less than 5 miles), I noticed the smell of electronics, then saw small wisps of smoke.It seemed to be coming from underneath the middle part of the steering wheel, although it was at night and I was in the process of driving. Is there anything in there that would smoke like that or actually start on fire? The temp in my area is in the 30s to 40. I,ve definitely noticed differences in the way this vehicle runs depending onwhat season it is. This truckwas born and raised in florida, then driven toIllinois around two years ago. Could it be it does'nt like the cold? (lol) Also, last winter I had aslow leak in the brake system. As soon as the spring came and temp rose, it didnt leak anymore. Now that the temp is around freezing again that same slow leak is back (just inside the front driverside wheel). Other than that its been somewhat stable (knock on wood). Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: smoke from the steering wheel

So, I am confused, you start off with smoke from your steering wheel and end up with a leak. What exactly are you wanting help on??????????????????

Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Drifting

I had smoke comming up from my steering cloumn was a short in oxygen sensors,heat sensor was hit against it

Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
7th Gear

Problem 1 : Smoke coming from just behind steering wheel andsometimes instrument panel does'nt illuminate when lights are switched on

Problem 2 : Slow leak in brake system. Small puddlejust inside and behind driver side wheel (appears in cold weather - stops in warm weather)

Sorry if my previous post confused anybody LOL thanks for any comments or suggestions