General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer not working Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working Help!

This story begins in February of 2016. I was driving down a road at 45 mph that had slush on only the right hand side of the lane. Multiple times the right side wheels would casue traction control to engage. As I kept driving all of the sudden my speedo dropped to zero and kicked cruise control off at the same time. The speedo came back a second later and so I re engage cruise control. Only to have it drop off a second later. This happened 3x in a row of not more. Then I got a trans overheat light. It went away after about 30 seconds later. From that point forward for the next month the speedo would come and go as it pleased but never again did it trip the cruise control off. This lack of speedo also casued the odometer to stop working.

First I checked all my fuses. Good

Then lazyness set in and I began using my phones GPS for speed. Until in June I was pulled over for speeding. Being that I was in the deep woods of the adirondacks I didnt have signal to tell me how fast I was going. I was told I had till sun down the day after tomorrow to get it fixed or pay the fine. When I got home I dropped the oil in the trans to check the magnetic pick up. I checked its resitance to that of a known good one and it was the same. I swapped the gauge cluster but no luck. I looked over the wiring and no luck. At this time I found you can read the speed on live data through a scanner in the obd2 port. This tells me that the computer is recieving the signal but not sending it to the cluster. I couldnt get it so I paid the fine.

I ordered a cluster, ecm and bcm all from the same truck to try a brain transplant. When I plugged these all in multiple electrical devices became inoperable like the interior lights, seat controls etc and the speedo still didnt work. So I put the old brain back in and have been stuck with no idea how to fix this. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Also we all have our own driving styles so no comments on that please. I have yet to look at wheel speed sensors for the abs but have been told by a friend to not bother as it is not used for speed calc and only for abs purposes. Again desperate for any ideas or if some one has had this happen to them.

Thanks all

Last edited by EstellaandMaggie; 01-30-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Forgot to put vehicle detail
Old 01-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Exact vehicle spec would help.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good point

Cant believe I forgot to put the vehicle details down. This problem belongs to my 2001 Disco 2. Had 117k when this occured. Thank for pointing my mistake out.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Speedo on a D1 is run by the VSS on the transfer case. Not sure about the D2.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Wheel speed sensors do report the speed to the vehicle.

you need to have the codes read for the vehicle, something that does ABS as well.