General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sputter, Sputter,Stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter, Sputter,Stop!

My'98 Disco is running rough and bogging down at about 1,250rpms. In the last month I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, ignition wires and plugs as well as the coil block. After all that the car ran great for about 300 miles and then blamo, once again the same symptoms. I've just noticed a bit of moisture out of my tailpipe. The ambient temp is 65 degrees so the car isn't fighting any cold temps. It also seems to idle ok @750rpm, but when I give it gas it sputters then jumps to life, after which the idle will drop of to @500 and then settle back into its proper idle rate. It will stall at lights and take a few attempts to get it going again. In the morning when the car is cold it runs fine until it gets warm.
I would like to get it running well enough for me to get it to my Rover mechanic. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Sputter, Sputter,Stop!

What about fault codes?
Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
6th Gear

No check engine light. I want to get it to my mechanic so he can put it throughsome tests.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try changing your fuel filter again? I would say check your injectors for one that is not spraying, but you said smooth idle. Might have gotten a lot of crap in the tank.

Just thought it would be a cheap try. $13 for a filter is better than $100 for new injectors.

Which was the last you changed to make it run well? or did you do it all at once?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
6th Gear

The fuel filter was replaced 300 miles ago. When this saga started the first thing that came to mind was bad gas or a clogged fuel filter. From there I went to the fuel pump and replaced it and still no better. I went up the chain to the ignition system and had it running great after changing out the coil pack. Now I'm wondering about other electrical or sensor issues. Don't really know where to go beyond that.
Thanks for the advice.
Greg

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I have on occaision had similar symptoms with my '93 Rangie and was told it could be a faulty engine temp sensor or harness problem was the problem, telling the system that the engine is cold when it it is actually hot - this causes extra fuel to be delivered to the engine - Same symptoms as pulling the choke on in a carburated engine.

Mine was so intermittant that my wife wouldn't drive the vehicle, it usually would correct itself if you turned the engine off, waited a couple ofminutes before starting - bit of a problem in traffic though - whenever it happened there was a strong smell of petrol and some black smoke from the exhaust.

I eventually pulled every harness plug under the hood and sprayed with a contact cleaner, problem went away.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
6th Gear

Bill, thanks so much for the tip. Earlier today I started messing around with every wire and sensor connection I could reach. I checked my alt. and battery voltage as well.
Like you, my wife doesn't want to drive the thing until I get it fixed right. Can't say I blame her.
Thanks again,
Greg

Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 AM
6th Gear

Did you check the idle pressure hose, its is a hose that runs to the throttle body and is usually seperated into a threeway connector. hoses are always a commonly replaced part and it that is disconected then the engine looses the ability to idle properly.