General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter Motor and Horn Stuck On

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
mkt
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Motor and Horn Stuck On

I am new to the forum and need soon help:

I have a 200130th Anniversary RR since new with only 20K miles. 3 weeks agothe horn and starter motor turned on suddenly and stayedon when thewife was driving it on a rainy afternoon. Turning the ignition offwouldnot stop the starter and horn(the wiper and lights were on also but I am not sure if the wife have acutually turned them on while she was driving it) - I have to disconnect the battery cable to turn off everything. I tried reconnecting the cable 30 minutes later and the same happened - starter and horn came on with the ignition still in the off position.

Have the car towed to the dealer immediately. The service manager called the next day and saidthey could not find anything wrong with the car - all electricals are working. The dealer has had the car for 3 weeks now and still couldn't find anything wrong - they have driven the car extensively and spayed water over and under it to try finding the problem - No luck. One tech said that the problemMAY have been cause by a (temporary) faulty Body Control Unit (???)

I do a have an extended warranty but they would not pay for the Body Control Unit replacement unless it is actually found to be faulty.

Can someone help please? Have anyone experienced or heard of similar problem?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Starter Motor and Horn Stuck On

with both of them going off at the same time, it sounds a little more like a short, both have relays in the engine fusebox, if you get a short to ground on the control wires, or even inside the fusebox, it can cause an intermitant issue like this. might be a pain, but drive it til its doin it all the time, let your ext warr take care of the fuse box and new starter and flywheel, cus theyll be chewed up

Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
mkt
3rd Gear

Thanks roverguys7.

I toldthe dealerto check the relays and the wiring in the steering column for shorts - the dealer said they did and find no issues. I'll ask them again tomorrow.

The problem is its my wife's car and I travel a lot. Immagine the horn goes off in the middle of the night when I am not home......

Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's quite a problem to have! It's been my experience with Rover repairs that when the shop/dealer can't pin point the problem, they tend to lean on the Body Control Module as the source. Seeing as how just about everything on the body runs through the BCM....it makes sense....but with the cost of it, I still classify it as a last resort[&o]

Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 AM
mkt
3rd Gear

Wolfpack,

Are the starter motor and wipers relays controlled via the Body Control Module? Or are they just hardwired to the respective switches? For an older car likemy 2001 RR, I would guess that the relays are not controlledvia a control module. Of cause I could very well be wrong.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling

With our 2001 Disco II, the horn sometimes starts blaring in middle of night. Its a mechanical issue. The edge of the horn button simply sticks on steering wheel after being pressed.Just a bit. Then at night - I'm not sure if moisture/humidity is the issue, the connection will be made and it starts blaring. The first time it happened I couldn't figure out what it was...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

yes they both go through the BeCM, but whats this about the wipers now?