General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problem - Negative battery cable bad

Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem - Negative battery cable bad

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a 2000 Disco Series II that is experiencing some problems starting. Everything was fine until one day last week it was just dead...completely...no dash lights or anything when I turned the key. At first I thought it must be the battery or the alternator. I charged the battery, and everything was dandy. A few days later...same thing. I took it for a diagnosis, and they said it was the negative battery cable. That made sense, because when I was trying to jump start it I had to put the clamp up the cable a little bit where it attaches to the body (instead of the negative terminal of the battery) before it would start. So I had the negative battery cable replaced. That was a week ago. Tonight I went out to the store, and got stranded there again with the same symptoms. Anyone have any ideas ?

Many thanks !

Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Starting problem - Negative battery cable bad

Sounds like it is time to start checking/cleaning all your battery connections. One of them must not be getting a good connection.
Mike

Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Overlanding

Mike --

I gave them a decent although not entirely thorough cleaning before replacing the cable. The negative side should be fine since it's new. Can that really make that much of a difference ? I've never seen anything like this in any other vehicle that I have owned.

Thanks for your reply !

Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have e test probe, you might turn on your ignition to the second position and go test a see if you are getting any power to your fuse box in the engine compartment. I wouls also test a see what the battery voltage is. Check the connections to the alternator.
Mike

Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Overlanding

Mike --

Looks like that did the trick. I used a pipe brush and cleaned up the terminals and the clamps, and even used some baking soda and water to get it really clean. I feel like such a tool for not trying that sooner. I probably didn't need that negative battery cable after all. Hopefully the problem won't come back.

Thanks for the advice !