General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering and Braking problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering and Braking problems

I'm having two problems that were exacerbated this weekend with a lot of highway miles and more off-road miles than usual. It's a 2001 Disco II, 99k.

Problem #1, steering.
I noticed months ago that the steering was loose, tended to be slow responding to turning the wheel and I could get about two inches or play in the steering wheel before the tires moved, with all four wheels on the ground. I got underneath and twisted and pulled and nothing seemed loose. So, as I have only driven about 10,000 miles in the last three years combined, and half on a motorcycle, I figured Land Rovers were just loose to drive. Also, I know about as much as it sounds like when it comes to car repair. So I'm learning here.

Then this weekend I drove about 600 miles, maybe 30 miles 4x4 roads and rough 2x4 roads. Over the weekend, the steering definitely became looser. Now, I can reach in front from above and grab the rod that comes straight from the steering wheel inside and twist it a few inches with next to no effort. The steering wheel turns a few more inches than previously before it engages the wheels on the ground. Where should I start and what should I check without getting in over my head? I do have an extended warranty I'm not afraid of and a good local mechanic, but I would rather fix it myself and learn a thing or two.

Problem #2, braking.
I swapped out pads and bled the brakes about a month ago because the pedal was mushy feeling and the pads didn't bite much. The pads bite now, but the brakes still feel very soft. I noticed this weekend that in the morning, without pumping the pedal, I would damn near have the pedal floored to get the truck to a rolling stop. Sketchy. But if I pumped them a couple of times rapidly- especially after driving out of the woods for a few miles and back onto city streets--I could get them to bite quickly. I never got to where I couldn't actually stop, but they were doing a very poor job at it. It's possible I didn't do a good job bleeding the rear lines and still have some air in it. But isn't the pumping action a sign of a bad master cylinder? Again, where should I start?

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to learning some diagnostic and repair stuff, but not at the expense of destroying my car. I'm already spoiled by the luxuries of a car instead of a motorcycle/bicycle full-time.

dylan

Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Steering and Braking problems

e-mail me your tele number and a good time for me to call you, it will be easier this way.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net