General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
Are you talking about the steering box? The pump only has hoses & a belt hooked up to it. You will not see any difference in the pump when turning the wheels.
You can adjust the steering box. There are instructions in the RAVE on how to do it. If it is loose, adjusting it will take up some of the play.

Edit: Found this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ustment-38774/

Here's a steering diagram: Discovery II Steering - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Thats my mistake... not the water pump... its the steering box that I am talking about... :roll eyes:

My steering box is leaking... that was one of the notes from a Land Rover place I took her in back when I first got her.

Question is... if the steering box is leaking would it be leaking power steering fluid? Sorry if I sound stupid with this, the rover is my first "get to know how it all works" vehicle.

Looking at the steering box it looks like its been leaking something but I have not seen my Power steering fluid go down since I first got the truck... again not sure if that liquid even flows through the steering box?

Thanks for those links I was reading up on them and they sound like the right things for me to try.

I was wondering if I could give the the steering box a turn on the adjustment screw with out lifting her up? Reading on the the other posts it looks like they recommend lifting it up and dropping a drag link arm?

Thank you!