General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange electrical problem on 2001 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange electrical problem on 2001 Disco II

I just bought my first Land Rover - it's a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II SD. Having a strange problem- when I'm sitting in park with the engine running, whenever I press the "Unlock" switch to unlock the power door locks, it stalls the engine. Lots of lights light up on the dash, the rear wipers move a bit, check engine light comes on, and the engine dies.

I can wiggle the ignition key and sometimes it won't die all the way-- or I just restart it and she's fine. The remote key unlock won't operate when the key is in the ignition of course-- so if I power off the vehicle, remove the key, and hit unlock on the remote it does the same thing (electrically speaking). Dash lights up bizarre and the rear wipers move a bit-- sometimes the frontwipers moveas well. Just for a couple seconds while the doors unlock.

The "lock" mode doesn't seem to do that...... everything locks just fine...... and the doors "do" unlock when I press the button on the dash or remote, but it just has that extra electrical glitch. Seems like some sort of electrical short or ground, not sure...

Any ideas??? I don't even know where to begin........

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Strange electrical problem on 2001 Disco II

That is a first, I don't think I have heard of that happening before.
Mike

Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange electrical problem on 2001 Disco II

This sounds to me like the electricals are missing a good ground and the system is looking for it.
Use a glove and start wiggling wires with the engine running, try close to battery grounds, verify engine to body ground and wiggle wire bundles around fuse box.
Be carefull around moving parts!

Again, sounds like system is drawing ground thru accesories that are otherwise non related electrically. Good Luck![:-]

Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
7th Gear
Default yeah me too

I have an 02 disco and have the very same problem. the truck stalls when auto locks kick on, dhc light on the dash, rear wiper moves for a few seconds, sometimes the front wipers too, and the a/c turns off momentarily. I bought this thing for my wife and she loves it but when it starts messing up I get an earfull. Anyone know a solution for this particular problem?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Wires shorting to the body control unit, or internal short in the BCU itself?

Or possibly more likely a short at or in the intelligent driver module? I would think this more likely as is not as heavily guarded (difficult to access) as the BCU.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM
7th Gear

intelligent driver module? What the hell is that? You makin a crack at me?

Besides...my wife drives this thing.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Look for a GFCI receptacle that needs to be reset.
usually in garage or bath-room.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Big- not making a crack. I'm a new member to this board, and I think wisecracks only come with senority

The intelligent driver module, or IDM, is integrated into the passenger compartment fuse box and performs the power switching operations for several electrical systems. The BCU communicates with the IDM to provide control signals to perform power switching operations in conjunction with dedicated relays.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull the fuse box under the driver and take a look at it to see if its covered in corrosion, while you are it, take a look at the sides under the dash and look for corrosion.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 PM
7th Gear

ok guys thanks for the advice, i will do that today and post my findings. I have seen this problem a few times on the board but there has not been a solution posted as of yet, that i have seen anyway.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Strange electrical problem on 2001 Disco II