General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange Turn Signal Problem

Encountered an odd turn signal issue an hoping someone has a little insight. By the way this is on a 98 Disco. When I turn on the turn signal in either direction the indicator on the dash lights up like the hazards are on and flashes really fast. I figured the flashing fast part was a burnt bulb which is pretty typical in most cars as for causing the fast flashing. What confuses me is why the indicator doesnt light up only in the direction I am turning, it lights up both left and right indicators no matter which direction I turn. Any ideas?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps inspect both bulb sockets on front and back for corrosion - the exterior lights, not the dash indicators

Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will flash fast if a bulb is out or a light is missing or LED's are used, all of which reduce the resistance on the circuit. I removed my rear bumper with all the taillights on it to replace it with a steel one. With those lights out, it will flash fast. Replace the flasher relay with a different one that won't do that. I wired a Tridon EP-26 on a pigtail to the stock flasher socket.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Would a bad flasher or a burnt bulb cause the indicator to light up in both directions though?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

burned out, nope. flasher - don't think so. But some sort of sort between terminals, cable ends, sockets - perhaps by corrosion - maybe. And of course, the wiring diagram may show yet another module involved, or even the stalk of the turn signal at the steering wheel. What year and model?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Would a bad flasher or a burnt bulb cause the indicator to light up in both directions though?
So you have never used your turn signals before have you? Or never paid attention to them.
In the DI there is only one directional on the dash, and it flashes both directions no matter which turn signal you have on.
The little trailer will also light up and flash once when you turn on the turn signals, unless a trailer is connected and the lights are plugged in, then the trailer on the dash would flash with the signals.
If you turn on your hazards the turn signal and trailer will flash as well as the hazard button all in unison.
So there is nothing wrong with the turn signals on your dash.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing Spike.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

And I was not reading the 98 listing - thought he was talking about a feature on an advanced model and I was jealous - I've just got the green which way square and the trailer logo.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Hahaha I feel like a moron. I just bought it and have never had one before so I assumed something was wrong. Got one burnt bulb on the passenger side which is the side that flashes fast. Drivers side works perfect. Man I feel dumb, puts my mind at ease though, no electrical gremlins to battle. Thanks everyone

Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

And I feel like the village idiot for not reading the year in your post. The RAVE download has complete owner's manuals as well as shop manuals, suggest you take a look at them.

Quick Reply: Strange Turn Signal Problem