General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sunroof - one side binding

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof - one side binding

We're entering our 20th year with our beloved 1998 Disco 1 Special Edition (owned since 2 years old), which is still in extraordinarily good shape.

I have read all the forums online, but not come across this particular sunroof wrinkle.

The forward sunroom opens the first step, sometimes with a little bit of the ratcheting sound. But when it then tries to slide back it completely binds and makes the full ratcheting sound and will not budge. It used to do this occasionally, now it does it every time. It still closes back down just fine, and opens again the first step.

On further investigation, I am noticing that it appears to be binding only on the right-hand slide. The left side seems to slide until the glass becomes crooked due to the right side jamming, and stops.

I've cleaned and greased everything I can access without taking the ceiling panel out. I've watched all the videos and read all the forums, all of which refer to problems of the entire thing not opening/closing at all, requiring the switch to be reset or fixing the drive-belt where it's come detached. In my case, I'm assuming the drive-belt is still intact because it's opening and closing the first step. I can't find anything written about sunroofs that open the first step, but then jam (and only on one side), but then close again just fine.

I am wondering if anyone has run across this particular issue. If I need to take the ceiling panel out, such is life, just hoping to avoid it.

Thank you.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Yes I have the same problem, Im not sure but I think it has to do with the small push buitton under the handle, on the back sunroof the handle PUSH button need to be pushed to allow it to turn as the small spring pin drops in the small recess on the inside of the handle and locks the handle and sunroof inj position, on my from on the lock pins does not seam to make contact with the handle at all, so mo matter how hard I push the Push button it does not allow me to continue turning the handle a d move the sun roof back, looking into it it just may be a roof liner out job, the fix and seal the lot in a oner