General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Swivel Ball Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swivel Ball Seal Replacement

The swivel ball seals have started to leak quite a bit so I've decided it's time to replace them. Both the Haynes and Brooklands imply it's necessary to remove the tie rods, but it looks like the job could be done with out removing them.

1995 Disco, AT, Petrol, blah blah blah. . .

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Winching
Default RE: Swivel Ball Seal Replacement

Brian, Have your swivel ***** been converted to grease? Leakage is usually caused by pitting of the swivel ball itself. That in turn tears up the seal.
Seal replacement is not a DIY thing for most. Tie rod removal is necessary.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Bait

Brian, Have your swivel ***** been converted to grease? Leakage is usually caused by pitting of the swivel ball itself. That in turn tears up the seal.
Seal replacement is not a DIY thing for most. Tie rod removal is necessary.
Have no idea if they have been converted to grease, but they are going to be when done. The ***** themselves are very shiny and there is no evidence of corrosion or pitting. Funny things is, there was no leakage until I drained and refilled them with 75/140W synthetic last weekend (and no, they are not overfilled). Not much oil came out when draining, so maybe they didn't leak because they were nearly empty or are full of grease?

As far as the DIY stuff goes, not a problem in this person's garage. Thanks for your concern tho.

Thanks for the response.

Brian

Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Overlanding

Replacing the swivel seals is a big job. I have done it many times. The first thing you should do is make sure the swivel has NO marks or pitting, this is the main cause for them to fail. You can just remove the new oil and but in the land rover grease. Now I have heard of people replacing the seal by cutting the top of the new seal and replacing it without taking every thing apart. I have not tryed it and if I where to I would make sure I was able to make a nice cut on the new seal by cutting the old when I got the old one out. The cut has to be at the top when you put the new one in because they only leak at the buttom. In any case you will be waisting your time if there is any marks on the swivels.The grease works even on swivels with pitting.
Irishrover.