General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TC light on a 2003 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC light on a 2003 Disco II

TC light keeps coming on and got it diagnosed with an Iland. This was the code that came up. What would you work/change?

Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Do a thread/google search this subject has been covered ...a ton.

You have two options bypass or replace the shuttle valve. Lots of of videos on it. Either repair isn't that hard to do. You can do it w out bleeding brakes.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 04-16-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Do a thread/google search this subject has been covered ...a ton.

You have two options bypass or replace the shuttle valve. Lots of of videos on it. Either repair isn't that hard to do. You can do it w out bleeding brakes.
so disclaimer I am a new discovery 2 owner and still learning this stuff.

I do not have the three amigos lights on just the TC light.

I have done some researching and see that I can replace the switch which should be within the realm of my ability.

I am now starting to see some information on option B which does some kind of bypass on it and is probably outside of my ability.

since I only have the TC light on and not the three amigos I was wondering if anyone had any better information on what might be causing this. It seems that all the threads you were speaking of have to do with the three amigos which I do not have.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 AM
TReK
Received 765 Likes on 633 Posts

Whether or not you have the full three amigos, you have an indication of a shuttle valve switch failure. This points to you needing to service the shuttle valve switch module.
Option B is just as easy as replacing the switch. The hardest part of either operation is to get the switch module out of the valve block.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jon.P
so disclaimer I am a new discovery 2 owner and still learning this stuff.

I do not have the three amigos lights on just the TC light.

I have done some researching and see that I can replace the switch which should be within the realm of my ability.

I am now starting to see some information on option B which does some kind of bypass on it and is probably outside of my ability.

since I only have the TC light on and not the three amigos I was wondering if anyone had any better information on what might be causing this. It seems that all the threads you were speaking of have to do with the three amigos which I do not have.

I get that. I'm sorry if my tone sounded short. I was simply saying if you do a search you'll probably have more information than you want. Not in a ****ty way.

Just like it was said above you've got a malfunctioning shuttle valve. 10mm bolts at the base and releasing the brake lines from thier holders near the wipers. That way the unit can move a bit. It's an allen head underneath I think 4mm. I could be wrong.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I get that. I'm sorry if my tone sounded short. I was simply saying if you do a search you'll probably have more information than you want. Not in a ****ty way.

Just like it was said above you've got a malfunctioning shuttle valve. 10mm bolts at the base and releasing the brake lines from thier holders near the wipers. That way the unit can move a bit. It's an allen head underneath I think 4mm. I could be wrong.

ok cool thanks! I’m going to start with this it seems to be the consensus. So you did not take off your brake lines, you just took them out of the mounts by the wipers?

Wondering if I should just switch the switch out first to a new one and see if that solves it and if not then I’ll do the option B modification.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:25 AM
Pro Wrench

That's correct. No actual brake line removal. It requires you to loosen the tiny screws blind and upside down. But in my opinion it's better than bleeding brakes.

What you see laying on the towel in my pic is the new part you'd get if you ordered one. It's a plug in unit w two wires going to it. Getting the cover off the ABS unit is the hardest bit.