General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Td5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Td5 turbo

Hi guys I’m new to this forum and new to land rovers I’ve had mine for about three months and I love it, well that is until my turbo went on me😩. It began to rattle and losse power, I shut it down immediately so hopefully no further damage other than the turbo. I’m in Sydney and just hoping anyone know where a can get a good second hand turbo or is it recommended to replace the cartridge instead? As much I would like a brand new one I really can’t afford it ( these things always seem to happen at the wrong time) any help would be very much appreciated

Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi or g'day,

Welcome from 'down under' to the forum. In truth you would be better on an Aus or UK forum as the majority of US D2's are V8's and few, if any, TD5's.

You will need to give more info on your D2 like mileage, year etc to help with analysis. It is unusual for turbo's under 200K miles with clean oil flow to them to fail. Replacing the cartridge is the easiest option IF it is the turbo that has failed. A recon turbo can be as little as £150 recon or as much as £900 new, it depends exactly on what you want.

If the turbo has failed you need to find out exactly why it failed and ensure that is rectified first as the new turbo can fail just as easily if typically it's starved of oil.

I am absolutely sure there are many places around Sydney, Aus, where you can find a TD5 turbo or a refurb, don't buy used turbos all you will be buying is someone else's problems find a good recon shop. Good luck.