Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo for a non-turbo diesel disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo for a non-turbo diesel disco II?

i was not sure whether to post this here or the tech forum but i was wondering if a '01 disco II SE can be fitted with some sort of turbocharger or a supercharger, basically some kind of forced induction. i have not heard of anyone doing it nor have i seen it in any discovery. please, if someone may shed some light on this matter it will be much appreciated. thx.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: turbo for a non-turbo diesel disco II?

I'll admit, it's a cool idea. I even seen a supercharger from a Rover on Ebay a few weeks back.
BUT there's some major considerations:

1-Compression ratio of the stock 4.0 vs. the Rover w/ super charger. Typically supercharged engines are configured with a lower compression ratio. Too high of a compression ratio and KABOOM.
2-My 2001 4.0 is computer controlled. The computer determines how much fuel goes to the engine. If I were to put a supercharger on, methinks the computer would get a little screwy. It would need to be adjusted.
3-I could be mistaken but I believe the transmission is also computer controller, this is another thing that would need to be adjusted.
4-Could the drive train handle the extra HP and Torque that the supercharger is adding to the engine?

As the saying goes, anything is possible with enough time and money...I have not seen any off-the-shelf superchargers for Discoveries.I would think that the very best approach would be to get the entire driveline and computer out of a supercharger equipped Range Rover...but why not just take the Rangie over the Disco? Next possibility would be getting the supercharger off of supercharged Range Rover and making all the other modifications...I can't think that it would be easy.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Way too expensive to rebuild the engine, swap out the engine management system for somethiing that will run the engine too lean and burn it up.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you have a Diesel?
If you have a gas LR then there is nothing that you can do to increase HP from the stock engine.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For Max HP and TQ look at http://www.rpiv8.com/engine.htm

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM
TReK

Superchargers and Turbos don't work for long and the ECU has to be reprogramed.

Land Rover has the ECU set to read stock settings and not much more so even a cam can set the ECU to limp mode.

This is why most things that give other cars and trucks more power and better mileage don't work on Land Rovers.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for all the input.
i believe that all the ecu and computer problems could be delt with but the modifications and the thought that i may blow my engine apart. i still believe thay there is something out there that may boost the hp of my rover.

i was wondering, do the K&N filters or any other non stock filter add any horsepower?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: viper205

thx for all the input.
i believe that all the ecu and computer problems could be delt with but the modifications and the thought that i may blow my engine apart. i still believe thay there is something out there that may boost the hp of my rover.

i was wondering, do the K&N filters or any other non stock filter add any horsepower?

Yes you can add horse power check the Modifications Forum and look at PowerChip V8 (my first) and RPi Chipping V8 the one I have now.