General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Three Amigo's and p1590

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Three Amigo's and p1590

I thought you did this already, you can fix the truck until you know whats wrong first..... Abs codes you need a t-4 theres no bones about it, 2 hours is easier then a ton of parts and labor to be still looking at a light. just my thoughts scott

Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(we have been talking behind your back) . scott
That is very possible that the parking brake cable is moving a connection/wire setting off the 3 amigos.[/align] Def worth looking into, have your wife or somebody work the parking brake while you watch from under the truck.[/align] You could also unplug the suspect connector and clean with electrical parts cleaner, then apply di-electric grease and then reconnect.[/align] It has got to be something simple and stupid, just a matter of finding it.[/align] [/align]
[/align] In a message dated 12/26/2008 1:48:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rinmud@yahoo.com writes:[/align] [blockquote] Think I got it, the accelerometer is just beneath the parking brake for the ABS and Traction control, but it also functions for the airbags???? so if you pull the handbrake and the lever or the lever moves the harness or the plug for the box ??? also remember there is two black "bend clamps " above the transfer case that hold the brake cable and the harness. In 03 allot of transfer cases where replaced under warranty MAYBE self inflicted by a trainee. Then threes the issue of maybe a loose switch in same area of handbrake cable for 4 wheel lock??? This is what happens when you play trivial pursuit in a dead Land Rover shop with 6 techs on a computer its better then sleeping in the lunch room. scott
[/blockquote]

Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

Thanks so much for your response! All you've said makes sense to me, I'll check under the truck today and let you know what I see. It's a good starting point.... I'm also doing the front brakes over tomorrow and I intend on draining a few cans of brake clean to make sure everything is nice and shiney.... After cleaning everything and ensuring that everything is working ok is it possible to reset the light by discon the battery or will I have to go in and have the code scanned out and reset?

I tested out the LR yesterday as well, high and low range, walked up things with the TC running with no issues.... ABS seems to be working well on all corners however it's hard to know for sure... I engaged the Downhill descent control and it worked like a charm as well. I really kinda do think this may be something electrical.... I had a 4X4 guru from my local club look at the hubs the other day and he said all looks fine.

I'll try what you said.... I really appreciate the help. If all else fails then I can take it to LR in Oakville (little over 2 hrs away) and have them look at it. Just annoying as my local dealer (10 seconds from my door) is too busy for me till after we leave (even though bays are clear!).

Cheers!

Rob

Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
4wd High

Hey Guys,

So here's the update... I looked under the truck today and checked all plugs and wiring... nothing snagged anywhere and look remarkably clean with all the snow we've had lately. I took apart all of the plugs into the modulator and cleaned them up, along with the ABS sensor plugs.

After this I took the drive to the LR dealer (2 hr's away) and had them flash with their software. Code cam back as a rough road code which stems back to a faulty front wheel ABS sensor. Now LR wants to change the sensor and the hub for a grand! I intend on getting the hub and sensor and doing it myself for half the price. My question... would my absolutely awfully squealing front brakes have anything to do with this? They re-set the lights and it's come all the way home with no issues. Do you think that I should do the brakes (rotors and pads) and then leave the hub and sensor to see if the issues return, or just replace right now? Remember my whole family will be heading in this truck to Florida in a few days so I am concerned about safety... even though my ABS/TC and DSC all work just fine.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have already told you, the 1590 code has no bearing or indication of a part failing, it is just as you mentioned, a rough road fault.
If your breaks are noisey, that is your problem, not a hub or speed sensor, unless you just want to go blow some money before the year is over.
If you have any questions, PM me with your tel number and I will call you.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
4wd High

Hey Mike,

As per our phone call I did the front brakes over (rotors/pad/slides etc) and I cleaned the hell out of everything.... I filed the edge of the pads to give them less friction on contact and sprayed the hell out of the backs with sound deadner. All back together now and got 4 longs trips on her with no more light issues! You were, as expected, dead right. I am doing the back brakes tomorrow before we leave along with the rear prop shaft coupler. I pulled the front drive shaft and took it to my driveshaft place and they said not to do anything with it as it is in mint shape at the moment. While i'm in Florida I'm going to pick up a rebuilt one from a shop there anyway as they are quite a bit cheaper than rebuilding it here when neccs. I really do apprecitate all of you help with this problem i've had, you've helped save me a fortune!Next time I'm in Colorado I'll look you up and buy you a cold one!! Cheers my friend!

Rob