General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toolbox must-haves when owning a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eniam17
The IID tool for about 400 will be great for the LR3. I am going to get one. It allows you to adjust the air suspension, clear system faults and codes that could possibly leave you stranded, as well as a lot of other cool features. There are some good threads on expedition portal with guys outfitting LR4's for serious overland trips and they are making backup air suspension inflation tools, spacers for backup lift in case air bags deflate, etc. A lot of the answer depends on how much you are going to do with the vehicle and if you will be doing a lot of remote travel. The LR3 has a lot of electronics that all work together so the IID tool is a must in my opinion.
IID is a must. It's kind of like the Tactrix 2.0 that us Subaru guys have for diagnostic and tuning purposes. I will read up more on the IID, I still have a lot to learn. I'm hoping to avoid stealership visits as much as I can.

We about for common repairs like the LCA bushings, or inner/outer tie rods? I saw the video on the air spring/strut replacement, and it looked to be a very simple job.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Drifting

This Amigo tool, isn't it for the previous models ABS system?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Always helpful, some double-secret off-the-SWMBO-radar folding money. She may go thru your wallet, but most likely won't unwrap a grimey rag in the tool box.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Always helpful, some double-secret off-the-SWMBO-radar folding money. She may go thru your wallet, but most likely won't unwrap a grimey rag in the tool box.
. Thanks. I'll have reserve cash on hand. Most likely the truck I'll get will need front air springs/struts within 20k miles. Along with a list of other things as well.......Tis the price of pleasure. At least I will go to sleep knowing I don't drive a Chrysler

Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling

"How do I know that's not a bunch of ones with a twenty wrapped around it?" - Vincent Gambini

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Drifting

What about for the inner/out tie rods service, and LCA bushings.

I've seen bushing pullers, but do they make special ones for the LRs, or does anyone recommend a certain brand?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Overlanding

your own land rover dealership is what you really need

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got an LR3 now. I'm thinking I will wait for black-box to add LR3/LR4/RRS support to the nanocom. It should be sometime this year. If the quality of support the device provides is as good as it is for D2, it should be awesome.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A download of the LR3 service manual from links below, stored on your device or a usb drive. Backed up by an AMEX Titanium card of course.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

A download of the LR3 service manual from links below, stored on your device or a usb drive. Backed up by an AMEX Titanium card of course.
Be careful. There is some stuff in that manual that just isn't right. I was troubleshooting misfire codes on my recent LR3 purchase and the manuals cylinder numbers and the obd2 misfire codes don't match.

Quick Reply: Toolbox must-haves when owning a Land Rover