General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Towing my 00 Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing my 00 Discovery II

Hello Forum!
I need some advise about pulling my 00 Discovery II 1,700 miles... Trying to decide if using a tow bar is safe for the transmission or not. I have read to make sure tranfer box is in netural and the automatic is in netural.

I heard that this was safe, but also heard not do do it. Renting a car trailer is out of the picture due to the restrictions that the big rental companies offer.

So I am open to any reasonable and cost effective way to drive a truck and get the "00" to our new location.

Thanks for the suggestions

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that it is not safe either. I normally, put the front two tires on a tower "car hauler" Looks like a dolly. I take the rear drive shaft out completely. However, that can be a P. IN. A. If you could, renting a trailer is the best option. plus it keeps the wear and tear off the tires.... But if you can't, then you can't.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the feedback... The car dolly was a thought... But removing the drive shaft P.N.A.
The main reason I have learned is the weight factor then the wheel base on these car trailers from the big rental companies.

Well at least I have a little time to find the best solution!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I passed a guy towing a Disco 2 on the freeway, and we both happened to stop at the next fuel stop. Spoke with him about it, he had removed the drive shafts. Bought the truck for $900, had already fixed the leaking "warm up the fuel plate", and was on his way from south Georgia to Mississippi where he was entering law school. This to be his college ride. Had gal friend with him, and if her idea of a good time is a round trip over three states to drag back a Rover.... she might be a "keeper".

Easier to get at that drive shaft if you put both ramps on one side of the truck. I'm too chubby to wiggle under the side bars.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as the transfer case is in neutral you will be fine.
You can leave the t-case in hi and the transmission in neutral as long as you leave the engine running to circulate the trans fluid through the trans cooler.
If you put the t-case in neutral even with the trans in park the truck will roll away because that will totally disconnect the transmission from the road.
Just make sure your steering wheel is not locked so the front wheels can turn corners.
That means key in the "radio only" position and not the "run" position, meaning no dash lights and you can turn the steering wheel side to side without the engine running.
Then lock the doors with your other key after you load the truck up with all of your crap you are moving.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 AM
3rd Gear

Hi I have a 96 disco and am lOoking to tow behind my rv has anyone got a list of hardware to attach to the front bumper of the discovery I have a 3500lb hitch on the back of my rv , can I attach to the towing hooks attached to the chassis or do I need something else I've had no look researching thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I haven't really looked closely at an LT230 with an eye to flat towing (even though I've had them apart) but the Series transfer boxes (which are a similar design) don't get lubricated properly with long distance flat towing.
The best way is to disconnect the propshafts at the diff and wire them up securely. I've towed like this before.
Alternatively, if you're doing it frequently, then front and rear locking hubs would be a good way to go. Then you just lock them when you get to your destination.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Rover weighs 4500lbs empty, your trailer hitch is not strong enough.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deltaridge1
Hello Forum!
I need some advise about pulling my 00 Discovery II 1,700 miles... Trying to decide if using a tow bar is safe for the transmission or not. I have read to make sure tranfer box is in netural and the automatic is in netural.

I heard that this was safe, but also heard not do do it. Renting a car trailer is out of the picture due to the restrictions that the big rental companies offer.

So I am open to any reasonable and cost effective way to drive a truck and get the "00" to our new location.

Thanks for the suggestions
What are these restrictions from the rental places?

Where are you trying to move the vehicle from/to?

Why not just drive the Discovery?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Rental places like U Haul make you state what vehicle will be on the trailer, and they have weight limits for that and the tow vehicle capacity. Lawyers make sure they try not to rent to folks in questionable situations, like using a Pinto to pull a trailer with a 52 Buick Roadmaster loaded. Here's their specs, not as many rental firms rent car haulers for use with your truck. http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

Construction rental yards have low boy equipment trailers that can easily handle the Rover's weight, but renting one way might be an issue, unless they have a yard in both metro areas.

Be sure you have adequate insurance coverages.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing my 00 Discovery II