General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranny Woes..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny Woes..

Hi guys,

This just started happening on my 95 disco, and I'm terrified that it might mean I need to replace the tranny... Please give me any suggestions you got...

Sometimes when I come to a stop and take off again it feels like the tranny is slipping OR like it's in 3rd from a stop and the slipping is just trying to compensate for the high gear... aka it revs up and very slowly starts moving. At higher speeds it's fine and if I drop it into 2nd or 1st it locks in fine no problem. Also it doesn't engage into reverse on occasion... I have to shift to drive the back to reverse to get it in gear.. i've checked the fluid level at the cold start up procedure not long ago and it was fine and checked it again yesterday when it was warm and now the fluid seems alittle darker red and perhaps slightly burnt smelling..

Haven't replaced the fluid and filter yet since the fluid seemed clean when I first bought the truck, however I picked up 9qts(according to Advanced Auto) of tranny fluid and some tranny stop slip by Lucas, to see if this would do anything. Along with the Filter obviously. havent flushed it yet.
ANYWAY>>>

My initial thoughts are valve body or torque converter, but I don't know that much about auto trannys so I'm just guessing. Does the valve body require you to drop the tranny?

Let me know what you guys think

Chris

Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 PM
4wd Low

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated guys... I'm SOL here and I need to get her back up and running as I just got my lift and new tires on...

Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well....

Try it. It's half not working. Worse thing it can do is fully crap out. Best case it limps on 6 more months

Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like the bushing on the shifter linkage is worn or really busted , that's why you have to shift to reverse then drive , to give it the extra travel to engage ....

and the clutches in the drum is worn ...that's why you get slippage at stop start

also the wrong amount of oil ( in the past ) will cause problems today .start with changing the oil first then the adjustments .

tranny's are funny ...5 things can cause 1 problem , and 1 thing can cause 5 problems

Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM
4wd Low

Thanks both of you for the reply, I finally finished the fluid and filter change, along with adding the quart of stop slip. I took it out for a careful.. then spirited drive after and it seemed decent. Out of the entire hour I drove it around it might have slipped slightly 1nce or twice, I've heard that that may either get significantly better or worse as the new fluid starts cleaning things up inside lol hopefully its not time for a rebuild just yet, as I still haven't gotten to officially offroad this thing since I got it.

Small side story: So me and a friend took it to an open parking lot near me with sand and some pretty deep puddles to do some "critical testing" after the road test. I blasted through a puddle in which there was a broken kiddie Tykes truck (the kind you pedal) floating in the middle.. thing EXPLODED under the weight of this beast I actually had to stop and put it in park I was laughing so hard. Cruel i know, except for the fact that it was a Jeep

Old 06-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

glad to hear you're better off now .. check back the oil levels , and i suggest you do another oil change in the near future , use the oil in now as a cleaning phase , drain an re new once more ( after some spirited runs ). then you go back to the regular scheduled intervals .

Old 06-09-2015, 03:21 PM
4wd Low

That concerns me a bit though since I've always heard you should never fully flush a high mileage transmission... considering my disco has about 147k on it id say that's relatively high mileage. Then again I've heard contradicting statements on this.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I think those warnings are more so referring to the "power flush" that some shops offer.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dirtydiscoparty
That concerns me a bit though since I've always heard you should never fully flush a high mileage transmission... considering my disco has about 147k on it id say that's relatively high mileage. Then again I've heard contradicting statements on this.
Look at it this way , all the oil in the transmission will heat up cool down , be pressurised /pumped / slapped around , so the tranny oil goes through its beating from the minute you shift the lever. so the viscosity ( body thickness ) is going to break down over time , so when it comes to changing your oil ...you change as much as you can .. and yes some is left in the converter because you never really could get all out ( unless you ask superman to hold the car vertical till it all drains off )

What is most CRITICAL !! is the exact amount that comes out old .. is the exact amount that should go back in new... ( this should be the case if the transmission had no issues before and was working properly ) if not the case try getting it to the correct level...

i have heard all the excuse from lazy ,don't know how mechanics... so think about it ..........