General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transfer Case. unreparable ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case. unreparable ?

Hi again.
I inherited a Land Rover Disco 2003 with 67K and in the process of having it in great shape, the people in LR Mexico found that the transfer case needs to be replaced because it is making a strange noise when accelerating and turning to the right , Also a vibrating noise at speeds over 80 milles .. ( You can still do that in Mexico ).

They ( The LR Guys in Mex ) quoted me over 7 thousand and that the actual one couldnt be fixed.

Is this True?
I found some used Transfer Cases on E Bay for les than 600.
Do You think I could use one of those ?

Thank You.

Javier

Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Transfer Case. unreparable ?

hi, my transfer case on my 96 range rover is doing the same thing, i looked on ebay a thousand times and i dont find any transfer cases, what do you put in the search box on ebay? by the way if you get your transfercase fixed let me know where you got one from . thanx

Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Boy, is someone trying to get into your wallet.
Go to this site, http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=280 and upgrade to an 04 CDL/locking t/case For small dollars.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Unfortunately LR In Mexico all it really does is replace parts for new ones they dont like to get their hands dirty if you know what I mean ... Only 2 aouthorized LR Workshops in Mexico City. so demand is big.

Parts are specially expensive due to Exchange currency and Taxes ....... Abuse is also part of the thing so I am really going to have to learn what and were to do it and Your help has been great ... Thank You Disco Mike.

By the way do you think that these Transfer Cases can be Repaired ?

By the way I Really love my LR. my friends dont really know why because of all the trouble I have gone through , but I say It is an aquired Taste. And actually enjoy working on My LR. They say Im Going through a Crisis and need a shrink.

You can find the transfer Cases here.

..http://search.stores.ebay.com/transf...2em118Q2el1248

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Are you sure it is the transfer case making the noise and not the front drive shaft, which is very well known for u-joint failure?
Can you better describe the noise and when it makes it. If you put the t/case into neutral and the tranny into drive, does it make a noise?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Well ... Disco Mike .. You wouldnt have guessed it better. It wasnt the Transfer Case , It was the Font Dirve Shaft... And the vibration at speeds over 80 MPH was the "Cardan" (I dont know how you call it in inglish) but the guy i Found just therew a little grease on it and it seems to working right. He also told me that if the vibration continued an adjustment would have to be made at 120 USD aprox.

I found a drive shaft on ebay at a very reazonable price , (Less Than 100 USD )

I have now fallen in love with my disco , I will never sell it enven if the tires come of.

Thanks again.

Javier

Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
7th Gear

When doing the repair to the Driveshaft, check the splines on the Diff. makes sure there are no signs of excessive play, that they are rounding themselfs out. Sam goes for the driveshaft that you are removing.

They are famous for stripping stripping the threads out of both. Good luck.

MSRP on a diff is like 600-700 if I remember right.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are confusing javoil001s D-2 with a LM Range Rover as far as the front diff spline problem is concerned.