General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

upon starting,sounds like a sore throat,before a person coughs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upon starting,sounds like a sore throat,before a person coughs

My neughbor said its my starter,hes the dude w.the landrover 97.my old mechanic always told me to put an oil/ gas treatment fluid in with every fill up,which I havent done in over a month..slipped my mind..please tell me its not the starter

Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is more likely your battery getting a little colder, and not putting out as much power. Stop by one of the national chain auto parts stores and they will do a free battery test in the car, it tests battery, alternator, and starter current draw. Battery terminals need to be good and scrubbed clean (they have to take them off the battery to do this).

Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Overlanding

Heh...yeah I had a huge argument at adv auto when they refused to give me a new alternator after my old one was just 10 DAYS OLD!!!WE CALLED.the district manager and the manager all ofba sudden changed his tone..I HATE THOSE.STORES.can I send someone an email of a photo of my terminals?? Please thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

In the capital of Florida there are many stores, not all are that brand. No need to send pix of terminals. They should be shiny metal, and if removed from the battery the "inside" should be shiny as well. If they look like powder or mud or gunk is on there, that can make resistance to the flow of electricity to charge the battery. Scrub off with small wire brush. In addition to the large terminals on top of the battery, there are some terminals at the front of the fuse box under the hood, those should be clean and tight as well.

However, if your battery is more than 3 years old, or you don't know how old it is, then it is probably time for one. Now it will be $80 - $125 or close. Might be a few bucks less at WalMart. If you are really stuck on the road and money is tight, most salvage yards sell the batteries out of wrecks for like $25. You takes your chances.

As for the store managers - just give 'em some of that Avenue Y treatment and they'll straighten up....

Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Pix of mine attached, not sterile, but not caked with crud.

Attached Thumbnails upon starting,sounds like a sore throat,before a person coughs-fuse-box-pix.jpg   upon starting,sounds like a sore throat,before a person coughs-p1120272.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Overlanding

My battery is brand new...so is the alternator..now,The battery is dead,needed 2 jump starts today..its the alternator AGAIN..HAS TO BE

Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

you are right on that, rebuilt by national chain alternators are poop, usually this makes tachometer read zero as well...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I went through 4 alternators in 2 years, 2 from AutoZone and 2 from Advance Auto, finally settled on a used one and that has lasted 2 years so far.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Overlanding

YUP NO TACH READING..and I only drove about 15 miles with this one..to and from work for a week..if itbwas someone driving a regular drive..15 miles a day....it woulda showedbup bad in a day.Now,I have to figure out how Im getting to adv.auto..im driving my neighbor crazy and dontbhave anyone elsebhere to help..i relocated to manage a holiday store for 3 months...I just wish i was home,adv.auto and my mechanic are up the street back home.Thank you all so much!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

And you and neighbor should take a look at fan belt route - see attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 drive belt.pdf (716.7 KB, 80 views)

Quick Reply: upon starting,sounds like a sore throat,before a person coughs