General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Upper rad hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper rad hose

I am buying an 04 landrover discovery. Took it for test drive, loved it, asked chap who was selling it for a female friend of his if I could run it down to the mechanics for a safety go over. Took it down, it passed but a couple small issues ie leaking valve cover, and differential piņon seal leak. So I drive it back to the guy selling it, he's showing me how the winch works, and swoosh, the upper rad hose, the plastic t connector is snapped off. Burn my hand from the spewing fluid. The shop said they didn't do anything, the guy selling said he didn't do anything...so found myself buying the part $150 and have to go to his driveway tomarrow to fix it. Okay...can somebody walk me through this, I assume I have to drain some rad fluid..undo the three hoses, attach the new one, then fill up the rad, start engine, let it warm up, check level and top. Seriously, I have never done this before, but can,t afford to tow it to someone...and it's not even mine yet. I don,t want to mess anything else up! Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Hope mechanic checked it with a code scanner to determine if any overheating, can't trust the gauge. Overheating can burst hoses.

2. Don't make things worse by snapping off plastic nipples on small hoses on radiator, they are brittle and will snap if you look at it making you buy a new radiator.

3. You'll want to use a razor knife and carefully slice off the bad hose. A little soap on the new ones and they slide on.

4. You'll want to refill the coolant when cold and allow more to come out of that bleed screw. Normally done with coolant container released and raised. With engine cold and not running. Then top up the next day or two. If done right, no sound like gurgles under dash.

5. Here's a drawing of the hose set up. If the T did not break, and it is just the bleed screw that is $10 or less at a BMW dealer.

6. If all this sounds like a PITA, it is, and maybe you would prefer to pay the mechanic for a house call.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM
7th Gear

savannah-buzz thanks for reply. The shop just did the overall safety check, don,t think they did a code scan. The plastic t is what was cracked. The service department at the nearest landrover dealer said the plastic T and 3 hoses come as a set, thats why it cost me 150. Good advise on the nipples, I will not even look at them! Keeping my fingers crossed I get this fixed and buy my new ride at day's end.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

pix of why you want to use a scanner, Rover gauges are not known for being precise instruments, more like cold, warm, roasted... Once you get theis marvelous pile of posh pre-owned sheet metal, consider the purchase of an Ultra Guage ($70) - reads codes and shows live data. RAVE shop manual and owners manual in download below, check the tech section for the 60K mile service list, and inspect front shaft, it not already converted to greasable ($100), it can split and slam hole in transmission (about $7,000 hole).

Attached Thumbnails Upper rad hose-p1120320.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you going to buy this one??? I would of found a used one if I wasn't buying it.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
7th Gear
Smile

well, that went well! I looked like a pro and took my time. Deal is done
I am the proud new owner of a 2004 land rover discovery....I have a feeling that this forum will be worth its weight in gold...or "posh pre owned sheet metal" as Savannah Buzz refers to it as...

Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Put that feeling in a bottle and set on the shelf, you'll need it when problems show up. First order of business, evaluate the front drive shaft for rebuild or replace (needs to be fully greasable, write up in tech area). Be sure you have no gurgles under dash (bubbles in coolant), and consider the purchase of an Ultra Gauge to watch enegine things, like temp, plus read and reset codes ($70). Download the RAVE and you will have service and owner manuals... free below.

And that's a posh pile of previously purchased possum smashin' sheet metal...