General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Very strange starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very strange starting problem.

I have a very strange starting problem. I have a 1988 Range Rover classic that I keep outside. I live in New Hampshire and have a problem that just started happening a couple of months ago. When the sun is on the car and it is fairly warm the car starts without an issue and runs fine. When the sun is not out and it is cooler the car won't start and acts like it is not getting fuel. Any ideas? Fuel filter?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Very strange starting problem.

Does the engine turn over as fast when it is cold as it does when it is in the sun?
How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?
Mike

Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Hi Disco Mike. The engine/starter sounds the same when it is warm or cold. Just seems like it is getting fuel when it is warm and no fuel when it is cold. The fuel filter has not been changed in at least 10 years (80,000 miles). It might also be the original fuel filter since I was the 2nd owner of the car. I was thinking the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to pull off the filter and see if it clogged up.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

I wonder if the heat warms up the fuel filter causing the junk in it to expand a little and let fuel pass by and when it is cold the buildup does not expand. Just speculation on my part. I was going to try to take it off today but it looks like rain for the weekend and the car is sitting outside.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: dfarnham

Hi Disco Mike. The engine/starter sounds the same when it is warm or cold. Just seems like it is getting fuel when it is warm and no fuel when it is cold. The fuel filter has not been changed in at least 10 years (80,000 miles). It might also be the original fuel filter since I was the 2nd owner of the car. I was thinking the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to pull off the filter and see if it clogged up.
Don't make me come back there and hit you in the head, change the dam filter, don't inspect it, they should be done evey 20K and you will be luvky if it hasn't past alot of rust up into your injectors. Wether or not it is the problem, do this first and try and save your injectors.
Mike