General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I apologize for all my shortcomings.

As I said in original post, any oil is better than no oil, and the factory book says 10W40, which will be on the oil container. Pix below shows that sort of info is always well marked on containers. The "W40" indicates how thick the oil will be at operating temperature, there are oils like 5W20 and 10W30 that are thinner when up to temp, but too thin for long term use in your truck.

Your mechanic might find the original pages I sent of interest, because the oil drain is behind a plastic under body panel.

See this attachment from the owners manual, perhaps what you are looking at is the hill descent control button?

My tired old PC can download this stuff with several versions of IE, and if links in my signature are not for you, the technical area in our D1 part of th forum also has an ISO image stored for it. The important thing is for you to have the owner's manual, which is the basics, and the shop manual set. The shop manual can be looked at if you are planning to have major work done, and also carried on a USB drive in the truck, in case you break down some distance from your favorite mechanic.

As for the busy life and all that goes with it, some owners find that DIY work provides a break from that, and certainly helps marshal fiscal resources. Dealerships are very high, and a good indy mechanic can become a trusted friend.

Again, I apologize for popping off, it is not my norm.

Attached Thumbnails what oil to use-10w40-oil.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
freelander hdc.pdf (535.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The first number is how thick the oil is when cold, the lower the number the thinner it is.
The "W" means it is rated for Winter use, i.e. cold climates.
The second number is how thick the oil is when hot, the higher the number the thicker the oil.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers buzz....its kool.
id get a bit irrated if someone was being a bit of a fool, or if it was an off day for me.
cheers.
got so many more questions though.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't hold back on more questions. Many times several questions can be answered by a single device, etc.; or help keep you from going a more expensive route.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It takes all kinds and some people consider themselves '' above getting their hands dirty".

As far as I am concerned, it is good for you, that is how you learn.

If you have no time for such things, then maybe some self reflection is in order.

Savannah was merely expressing his thoughts much in the same manner as you were seeking information. He provided you with some valuable information from his learned perspective.

If you have no time or no inclination to do it on your on, YOU were the one being rude. Maybe you can hire a personal assistant to take care of those tasks that you apparently consider beneath such am important person such as yourself.

And here's my apology in advance: I am sorry you have such a high opinion of your valuable time and the cleanliness of your hands but you have very little regard for those of us who apparently do not mind getting our hands dirty.

Are the others around you like that? What part of the Royal Family do you belong to?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-18-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
4wd Low

DANNY YOU CAN HIDE BEHIND A SCREEN.
I CAN GARANTEE THAT IF YOU WERE TO BE IN MY PRESENCE YOU WOULD REFRAIN FROM SUCH RUDENESS.YOU REALLY DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA AT ALL.....
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I COULD DO TO YOU AND YOUR LIKE.
PLEASE, GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE AND BEHAVE YOURSELF YOU LOWLIFE.

Savanna, cheers, ill get some other questions up, once this fool as wasted all the ****e thats in his mouth.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Yeah, the same attitude you Brits had back in 1776 when my ancestors sent your back to where they came from. Imperalism died way back long ago. You Brits are not our rulers, we are all free men.

Not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I refuse to continue a battle of wits with an unarmed fool.

Enough of you and your poumpous attitude. I find you a boor.

Be real and be polite or be gone.

You consider yourself a guru, but you are the one that acts a fool.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
4wd Low

dude you come on here on my post and are rude to me and then tell me to be polite...shut it..
you call me british...i am not...shut it..
unarmed combat....ha ha its my living dude...ill eat you up...ALL DAY LONG
i consider myself to be nothing...you are judging...shut up...
battle of wits??? learn to spell, learn to write, learn to GO AWAY....your not interesting.
go home to your hillbilly family and bore them and learn to spell doofus....
you start to insult what you think i am and some royal family i know nothing off and you think you are polite....
please go back to ****....i am conversing with buzz here not you...
as they say in your country........... and have a nice day....
twit

Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Really now. Make all the threats you care to, I would enjoy a true face to face encounter. You are a waste of time.

We gather here as a group to share info and experiences and learn about our Land Rovers.

Your attitude contributes absolutely nothing.

Savannah is one of the best participants on this forum and I did not care for the responses you made to him or anyone else. And I clearly stated that.

I am done with wasting any effort on you. Whatever you are.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by tyguru
DANNY YOU CAN HIDE BEHIND A SCREEN.
I CAN GARANTEE THAT IF YOU WERE TO BE IN MY PRESENCE YOU WOULD REFRAIN FROM SUCH RUDENESS.YOU REALLY DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA AT ALL.....
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I COULD DO TO YOU AND YOUR LIKE.
PLEASE, GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE AND BEHAVE YOURSELF YOU LOWLIFE.

Savanna, cheers, ill get some other questions up, once this fool as wasted all the ****e thats in his mouth.

Is that how guarantee is spelled over there?

Like I said, you come in and act all high and mighty, you get an answer but have no idea what terms like viscosity mean. You issue threats as if you are some kind of person to be feared, insult people and act like a total idiot.

If you had a valid disability or something maybe that behavior could be overlooked.

You exhibit a totally arrogant attitude and act like you are better than others.

I express what I think and feel. If you have a problem with that, then that is your problem. Please refrain from the undigified name calling and boorish behavior.

I will gladly place my accomplishments and contributions against yours anyday. Man up and quit your attempted bullying, you impress no one!

Cheers>>>>>

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: what oil to use