General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wheel sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel sensors

I havea 99 Disco II that I bought about a year ago. I am at 106K miles and I love my truck but I am having issues. I took it in to the dealer six weeks ago and the right front wheel sensor had to be replaced. Yesterday I was driving and all the warning lights came on again including the BRAKE light this time and now I am worried it is another wheel sensor or worse. My husband is convinced that these problems did not start until we starting towing a boat. There is also a constant squealing not when I brakebut whenI am accelerating that never stops and the dealer says that it is the brake pads but that they are in good condition and the noise is annoying but not a problem. Does anyone have thiskind of noise and could the noise be connected to the warning lights? I appreciate any thoughtsbecause my husband is thinking theproblems are just going to get worse, but I told him I am not selling!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: wheel sensors

You need to have someone inspect the pads and more so the calipers, sounds like one is dragging causing the brake squeal which then goes away when you brake.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wheel sensors

If your dealer replaced a sensor and the same code comes back , like lets say the RF speed signal erratic fault, they need to install a RF sensor overlay harness, its not the sensor , its the harness that connects the sensor to the SLABS ECU, in most cases this is a process of elimination.
and they have no way to determin which part is faulty.
Secondpossible issue here is the brake pads, if they chatter or squeel constantly replace em . Aftermarket items do this alot and the ABS in these cars will set lights and cause ABS activation from chatter. Did you recently get new pads somewere ? My advise is only use factory brake pads on DII's
and if the rotors are close to the service limit replace them too.
I had a DII that kept coming back with an ABS light and the last thing I ever would have thought was aftermarket padscausing that issue, new pads look like new pads right ?