Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove ABS Wheel Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Remove ABS Wheel Sensors

Hello to all.

What is the procedure for removing the front and rear ABS wheel sensors? I am chasing the proverbial ABS/TC/HDC lights (the three amigos). I have had the ABS Modulator "fixed" with the valve repair kit and now wish to clean the sensors.

Any suggestions as to removal?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remove ABS Wheel Sensors

What valve kit did you use? Did you clean the dust out of the calipers? Also apply anti-squell goop to the back of your pads. A shop can read the codes and tell you where the problem is. I have never removed the sensors myself so I can't help you there.

Willie

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What are the codes you have for the 3 amigos? Were they cleared after you had the valve kit installed, and they are back or have the 3 amigos been on the whole time. What pads are you using? And finally what year and mileage is your D2?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

My mechanic used the ABS Shuttle valve repair kit.

It's a '00 Disco II with 153K. New rear pads & rotors (Brembo rotors, ceramic pads). The 3 amigos were random for a while with the 3 chimes when they came on. Shut off the engine, count to 5, and restart, they were gone. Then they became full time. The LR pad began to squeal when stopping. Determined the rotor had a lip and the pads were shot. I replaced them.

The 3 lights were on full time before the brake pad began to squeal. With new pads/rotors, still 3 lights. Had the modulator kit installed by an excellent mechanic, bled correctly, still the lights. Was wondering if dirt/debris could be the culprit.

Wanted to remove the sensors and clean.

Suggestions?

And as always thank!!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do yourself a favor and leave the sensors alone, they most likely don't need to be cleaned and if you do remove them you may then have to replace the o-ringd that hold them in and it turns into a huge unnecessary mess.
Which of the 2 shuttle valve kits did you use? If it was the $100 kit, there is only about a 20% succes rate that it will fix your problem, that is why Rover came out with the much more expensive $800 kit.
Can you not turn off you 3 amigos now, if not what are the exact codes?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, if your mechanic doesn't have a Testbook (or other related LR computer) the TC/ABS/HDC lights will not turn off on their own. Even if you replace the faulty parts, you have to go to an indy Rover tech or take it to the dealer to have the codes read and cleared. And if/when your brakes squeal be sure to use lots of of the anti-squeak stuff on the pads. The vibrations (and cheap pads that create a lot of brake dust) can throw the 3 amigo too.