General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise

My '99 disco II has, within the past4 days, started making a whining noise from the front end. The whine becomes very loud while turning so I can only assume it is the power steering pump. But the noise doesn't only occur while turning, rather all the time; just louder when turning. I have checked my power steering fluid and it is full. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but a couple of days ago the red brake light on my dash came on so I checked my brake fluid resevoir and it was empty. I know I must have a leak somewhere, probably around the resevoir, but I filled it up and the light went off. The brakes are working fine and so far it has not lost any brake fluid since then. Could this problembe linked to the whining noise as well? I have to find out where the noise is coming from. Please help, the noise is so annoying and worries me to drive it.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Whining noise

Don't drive the truck till you find that brake fluid leak or you may loose them going through an intersection.
No the sounds are not related. How long has it been since you changed your p/s fluid, as far as that goes, all your fluids?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
5th Gear

Since I am the second owner, I don't know when the last time the p/s fluid was changed. It is about timeI do though, for that reason alone. Iwill try that. Considering this just came about all of the sudden could it really be the fluid? I can see the noise increasing over time but to just start would that really be just a fluid issue?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

How many miles on your truck,and how mechanical are you??
Here is a list you may want to follow to make sure your truck doesn't have early failures.
Let me know if you find your brake fluid leak, you might also check all your brake pads in case you are running out, that will also cause your brake fluid level to drop.

This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service or a high mileage used truck, the way I do it.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001
1 Air filter
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
5th Gear

122K miles on it. I'm pretty sure the brake fluid leak is in the resevoir. I changed my brakes all around right after I bought it, as well as the front right rotor (had a nasty chip in it) so I know the brake pads are good. I have also changed my oil and the oil filtera couple of times, just because of the high mileage.

Oh, did I mentiong the red tranny light?!? The transmission fluid is next, only becuase the red dash light that I was told is for the tranny temp is on. It doesn't stay on permanently but does come on after about 5-10 miles of driving. The only pain isthey way I have to check the level, no dip stick. These are my main concerns.I feel like Christmas threw up on my dash board withall the lights.So doesthe noise sound like a p/s problem?I will change the p/s fluid and let you knowif that works. SometimesI wonder what I got myself into.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

You need to change your priorities, That tranny is overheating and you are still drive it, they are real expensive to replace.
I would stop driving it completely till you can get a handle on all it's issues, SERIOUSLY.