General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wife bent the Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife bent the Disco

Hi all... Lets get to it. My wife while driving our 2000 D2 rear ended a Tahoe with a large trailer hitch. It was at a very low speed and after removing the cracked plastic bumper and dinged steering protector, everything else looks good. Even the crush cans are unharmed. Problem is that there seems to be a slight rubbing in the steering column when the wheel is at about the five o'clock position. Took it over to the local dealer and he says one of the nuts at the joint in the steering column is rubbing the fire wall. Reason being that the column is made to collapse and that's what it did to a degree. The truck drives fine, tracks good with no vibrations what so ever. Dealer said that the column had shifted towards the passenger compartment at the connection right behind the steering box which in turn shifted the entire assembly within the engine compartment aft. I'm still trying to get my mind around a forward impact causing the steering column to move rearward. Anyway, I've looked at it and there seems to be about a half inch of column clamped at the connector directly behind the steering box. Can someone verify the amount of column clamped within that connector on a healthy Disco? If indeed the column has shifted, can the torx screw on that clamp be loosened and the column manipulated forward as a fix. The steering box is in it's original position as well as the column remaining true (straight). The dealer wants $750.00 to replace the steering column plus whatever for the new bumper, brackets and steering arm protector. What do you think....
Also, anybody got any recomendations on an after market bumper to replace the original. It's got stock springs and shocks so weight may be an issue without reworking the suspension. Thanks, Greg

Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wife bent the Disco

I would say the TJM or ARB aluminum bullbar it is very strong and light in weight and probably won't require heavy duty springs as with steel bullbars sorry about your discovery if the tahoe had not have had that trailer hitch it would have been toast.[][][:@]