Lose the cats and no fault codes - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Lose the cats and no fault codes

Reply

 
 
 
  #21  
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Charlie_V's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 3,665
Thanked 227 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Dane,

I didn't find the right thread size because I had a burning need for an inspection and my cobbled together straight pipe setup was leaking (my welds just weren't the best). I gave up and just got a new Y pipe with cats off ebay. I think the brand was Davico.

In case anyone finds this post by searching for Davico, the setup works. It comes with much smaller cats than the original and the passenger cat is a hair away from the driveshaft, even with some muscling, but it works.

Charlie V
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Alex_M's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 3,658
Thanked 325 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TOM R View Post
so did this work?
I tried it on mine some months ago. Tried and tried and I never could get it to work. I found some neat little things on Amazon that had a piece of the catalytic converter honeycomb in the tip that is similar other than that one difference, it might be worth a try if it is 18mm like the O2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 24477
Posts: 101
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alex_M View Post
I tried it on mine some months ago. Tried and tried and I never could get it to work. I found some neat little things on Amazon that had a piece of the catalytic converter honeycomb in the tip that is similar other than that one difference, it might be worth a try if it is 18mm like the O2.
Bump....

O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made.

Eyeballing these if I ever go the header route....
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Charlie_V's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 3,665
Thanked 227 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slammin_LWB View Post
Bump....

O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made.

Eyeballing these if I ever go the header route....
That's really interesting. I haven't looked back at my old posts but a problem I had with hollowing the cats was that it made the truck sound like a glass bottle rolling down the driveway but that may have been because of the shape of the cat chamber and the thinness of the walls when compared to normal exhaust pipe. Maybe if you had an actual pipe instead on the cat chamber the noise would be less odd.

I've always understood that you need a certain amount of catalyst to burn/convert the remaining fuel and gasses, but maybe those little suckers will work.

I don't think the post cat sensors do anything other than keep you ses light off.
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 24477
Posts: 101
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Charlie_V View Post
That's really interesting. I haven't looked back at my old posts but a problem I had with hollowing the cats was that it made the truck sound like a glass bottle rolling down the driveway but that may have been because of the shape of the cat chamber and the thinness of the walls when compared to normal exhaust pipe. Maybe if you had an actual pipe instead on the cat chamber the noise would be less odd.

I've always understood that you need a certain amount of catalyst to burn/convert the remaining fuel and gasses, but maybe those little suckers will work.

I don't think the post cat sensors do anything other than keep you ses light off.
Yeah, post cat are just cat efficiency. Pre-cat are for engine management.

Those little mini cats take the defouler thing a step further. I'd assume they would work because the volume of gasses going to the sensor would be reduced...you're not trying to catalyze everything as you are with a conventional cat.

I'd try them on my 330i...Chinese headers deleted the cats but the o2 bungs were so close to the body of the car I just relocated the post cat sensors to the engine bay, so defoulers won't fit. Pre-cat still fit.

I'll probably not get headers for the D2 straight away, but when I do I'll try these thing out. If someone with headers already wants to give 'em a try, please report back.
 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Madlands's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 555
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slammin_LWB View Post
Bump....

O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made.

Eyeballing these if I ever go the header route....
These are pretty sweet but dang $50 a piece is a bit steep for me. Anyone found anything equivalent for a little less?
 
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Saw a recent reply to this on my email; the thread is a m18x1.5 for the o2 sensor bungs.

Also, the part number for the foulers you're talking about is 42002 at autozone for about 3$ a set of two.

I ended up just rerouing both down pipes into a single catalytic converter to keep the heat away from my driveshaft and for my 3 linked front end.
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: toronto, canada
Posts: 545
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I used to do this o2 spacer on my Subaru wrx and sti when I installed new turbo back exhaust system I used a spacer but I always thought it was the higher flow that killed the 02 sensors but regardless I never got any codes
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
06Range
General Tech Help
12
05-08-2013 09:01 PM
gmscando
Discovery I
9
03-28-2011 11:51 PM
D2
Discovery II
7
01-19-2009 05:01 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory