LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2 B or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:13 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 B or Not?

This is my first post on here. I am looking to buy a smallish SUV. I have 2 working dogs and need the room.
I am also always out of doors with them. We love to find out of the way trails and get away from the city.
So, a good 4X4 is a must. I am one of those SUV buyers that actually use the vehicle in the way they are
intended. If not for the dogs and my hobbies of hiking and mountain biking, I would have a BMW. That
background should tell you that the LR2 seems like the perfect fit for me. I am wanting to move away
from the crazy gas mileage I suffer now. But I do not want to give up much utility or true off road ability.
I can drive a mini cooper onto a trail but wont have much of a vehicle when/if I come back.

So, I test drove. Then I went and test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both vehicles have about the same
actual useable space. With the Quadra Drive II 4WD system, I could get down the trail and back just about
the same as with the LR2. I liked the steering feel and handling better on the LR2. It also had better seats
front and rear. Nav system does not work on the Jeep here in Hawaii.?. Wife's infinity has Nav and it works
great. Also the upgraded sound system on the LR2 was better than the top offering in the Jeep. The Jeep's
was a little more user friendly though.

I like the looks of both vehicles very much. My wife is just happy that I have agreed to look into something
with comfort features that go farther than rolling down the window. I have always admired the D 90 and
grew up watching the Camel Trophy races. I really want to fall for this LR2. I even like the crazy boxy style
of the LR3. But with its weight to power ratio and poor mpg, I can't do it.

The hard part of this decision is this: I buy a truck to work for me, not me for it. If I have to take it to a dealer
all of the time for even minor repairs, then that is an investment I am not willing to make. If I have to baby the
car and keep it in the shade (like one person posted) that is no good either. A really great sound system and GREAT
4WD system is only good if they work. Right? Without making excuses for the love we develop with our machines, I
am open to any and all comments and to be persuaded by your experiences with the LR2. Good or bad.

I am sorry for the long winded thread. I felt with the proper information any who wanted to help with my decision could
better do so. By the way. I do really like how the LR2 and the LR3 are not the cookie cutter 'SUV' that I see everywhere.
If FoMoCo would just give them a better engine that would be close to perfection, IMO. Also sounds like the QC guys need
to be fired. lol

Thanks for your time and any advice/comments.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 B or Not?

I don't know about the "better engine" comment you made. I can blow the doors off ANY small to mid size SUV on the road, and that isn't bragging. The LR2 drives like a luxury sedan, handles off-road like the Defenders, handles paved roads like a (albeit chubby) sports car, and the interior is very, very comfortable. I've driven most of the SUV's on the market today, including BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and this is the car I chose.

I use my car, like you, for the reasons it was made. I have the cargo nets, cargo boxes, etc., and I still don't have any complaints about it. It is a comfortable drive, gets reasonable gas mileage, and feels like a much larger car when you're on the highway. I don't know how much help that is, but remember that each car is different. While you might read complaints on this board, and I've had a few minor ones also, ALL of them have been fixed by my dealer quickly and efficiently. When comparing SUV's, remember to compare warranties too!