LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 Coolant Reservoir Hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022 | 06:08 PM
|
6th Gear
Default 2008 LR2 Coolant Reservoir Hose

I located a coolant leak on a 2008 LR2 and ordered the hose. Yes, gonna save some bucks! This hose has an easy clip into the reservoir, but where it leads into the engine, there is a crazy connection and I can NOT figure out how it attaches. Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2022 | 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench

That is the coolant bleed hose. To see how to remove it, go to this video and fast forward to 3:35. Be gentle with it.

The following users liked this post:
LR2driver (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022 | 01:24 PM
|
6th Gear

Thank you, thank you! I will give it a go and heed your warning to be gentle. Looks like it takes a softer touch.

Old 08-21-2022 | 02:42 PM
Winching

Where is the leak coming from? This connector?

Old 08-21-2022 | 02:57 PM
Winching

If memory serves, there is an o ring on this connector, the likely culprit.

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (09-02-2022)
Old 08-21-2022 | 03:14 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ThorInc
If memory serves, there is an o ring on this connector, the likely culprit.
I’ll look for it. There wasn’t one shipped with the hose

Old 08-21-2022 | 03:16 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LR2driver
Where is the leak coming from? This connector?
I have seen it there on occasion. Yesterday, when I moved the connection in or out, it would start leaking.

Old 08-21-2022 | 03:27 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by EssBee
I have seen it there on occasion. Yesterday, when I moved the connection in or out, it would start leaking.
I had a terrible time with mine on my original engine. The fitting on the engine had some issue where it would not seal with the hose connector, causing an intermittent drip leak. It's positioned directly over the alternator (great design) and coolant dripped into my alternator resulting in a costly repair. LR issued a bulletin on this.

So keep an eye on the replacement hose to ensure it stops the leak. In my case, I went through three of those replacement hoses until I gave up on it and replaced it with a DIY hack ... I cut off the hose connector and used a straight nylon hose with a conventional hose clamp over the fitting. No more leaks!

On my replacement engine, it has been bone dry. But I look for leaks (orange coolant stains on top of the alternator) every time I check the oil to ensure it stays that way. Those hoses are cheap, but the alternator wasn't.

Old 08-21-2022 | 09:15 PM
|
6th Gear

I had a terrible time with mine on my original engine. The fitting on the engine had some issue where it would not seal with the hose connector, causing an intermittent drip leak. It's positioned directly over the alternator (great design) and coolant dripped into my alternator resulting in a costly repair. LR issued a bulletin on this.

So keep an eye on the replacement hose to ensure it stops the leak. In my case, I went through three of those replacement hoses until I gave up on it and replaced it with a DIY hack ... I cut off the hose connector and used a straight nylon hose with a conventional hose clamp over the fitting. No more leaks!

On my replacement engine, it has been bone dry. But I look for leaks (orange coolant stains on top of the alternator) every time I check the oil to ensure it stays that way. Those hoses are cheap, but the alternator wasn't.
Helluva DIY hack. I'll keep it in mind if the replacement hose doesn't work.

Old 09-02-2022 | 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench

But I look for leaks (orange coolant stains on top of the alternator) every time I check the oil to ensure it stays that way
Orange coolant? Which coolant is this? I thought the recommended coolant for European engines is pink.

Quick Reply: 2008 LR2 Coolant Reservoir Hose