LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 lr2 ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 lr2 ignition problems

So i go to start my car and all i get is a bunch of clicks, and lights going on and off. The fob is synced because of the solid 2-3 sec led light when i first put the fob in. I also tried jumping it but no go.... It will not turn or anything. Im frustrated with this. I have taken off battery terminals and placed them together for 4 hours to reset computer. Please help

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM
7th Gear

So i had my truck towed to landrover. They said my computer was bad 2100$$$$. Wtf... It kept telling my system that my vehicle was in a crash but it hasn't been. Any body ever hear of this????

Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

20 pound sledge hammer and a used bumper off anything in the junkyard. Bang bumper into yours. Scam insurance company and tell them some one hit you in a parking lot and drove off. For that matter, are you sure no one has hit you?

No, don't do that. But do try to find a used ECU from a boneyard.

Sounds like the inertia switch function is tripped. On older trucks this was a separate switch on the firewall. Maybe it is on the circuit board now.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
7th Gear

What is the inertia switch???? And how does this happen

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rovers have for some years had an inertia switch that is triggered by a crash, and they do things like kill the fuel pump and unlock the doors instantly, so you can be pulled of the wreck without being covered in flaming petrol.

I don't have a 2008 manual, here is a page with what it looked like in a 2004. It connects in series with the fuel pump relay.

I don't know if new models put this on the circuit board of the ECU. Time for one of the working pros to comment.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
free inertia switch.pdf (44.6 KB, 727 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

LR2 doesn't use a standard inertia switch, it is built into the CJB(body computer) and RCM(SRS module)

It is not uncommon for low battery voltage to throw it into Crash Mode, however, I have yet to have one that would not reset out of it.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
7th Gear
Default Really

The ppl at land rover charleston wv told me that they tried resetting it by placing ground and lead wires together from the battery to reset it and no luck. They ordered the cbj today and said they would have it for another week. It's crazy. Any ideas on reprogramming it or any other cheaper alternative besides a sledge hammer???
Any info would help

Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench

The CJB will store a fault code for Crash Mode, and it will not clear, a hard reset will also not take care of it. There is an application(under Service Functions) built into their diagnostic machine (SDD) that will reset Crash Mode. It's relatively simple, but can take a few minutes to find it in the software.

Also, it takes all of about 10 minutes to install the CJB in an LR2, and another 15 to program, not sure why they'll need a week.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
7th Gear

So they said they dont carry them there. You have never heard of on of these not being able to get fixed. I mean you have never had to replace one??? I thought it was crazy also.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah, it is a coded part, but they should be able to have it Monday, but they would probably charge you extra shipping then.

I have replaced a few CJBs in these, but not for this issue. If they're able to communicate with the CJB, and it is a Crash Status fault, they should be able to reset it. There is a procedure to do so, as clearing the fault (as you would clear any other fault) does not reset it.

Quick Reply: 2008 lr2 ignition problems