LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 Lr2 Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts

She already switched the starter.

The wire that connects to the starter solenoid is likely touching the engine block, starter housing or something large and metal.

I referring to the small wire behind the nut that the blue arrow is pointing at.

Do the following

0. disconnect the battery

1. check that a wire is attached behind the nut that the blue arrow is pointing at

2. Verify that this wire isn't coming into contact with the started housing or engine block

3. check the resistance between the nut and the engine block (it should be more than 0.5 Ohm)

4. if its less than 0.5 Ohm then disconnect the nut and wire and repeat the measurement with the wire not touching the starter (this measurement should be 500,000 Ohms or more)

Let me know what you find

For reference the fuse shouldn't blow until you get to 40 amps

V = I * R

Rearrange to

V / I = R

12 / 40 = 0.3 Ohms

To blow that fuse the resistance should be 0.3 Ohms or lower

When I measure my old starter it is closer to 0.6 Ohms

Thanks

Paul

PS if you remove the small wire that the blue arrow is pointing at and connect that wire to the starter housing or engine block and you try to start the engine then the fuse will blow exactly as you are experiencing

Last edited by p_gill; 11-19-2020 at 05:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by p_gill:
Forrest Hawk (11-19-2020), ThorInc (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Ah, my bad, I missed that. I was also going to suggest a short to ground somewhere near the starter.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
Sounds like you may need a new starter.
This is a new starter, I removed it and took it to parts store , had them test it for me & it's working fine.
I will run through suggestions tomorrow & post results.
Thank You 👍

Old 11-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by p_gill
She already switched the starter.

The wire that connects to the starter solenoid is likely touching the engine block, starter housing or something large and metal.

I referring to the small wire behind the nut that the blue arrow is pointing at.

Do the following

0. disconnect the battery

1. check that a wire is attached behind the nut that the blue arrow is pointing at

2. Verify that this wire isn't coming into contact with the started housing or engine block

3. check the resistance between the nut and the engine block (it should be more than 0.5 Ohm)

4. if its less than 0.5 Ohm then disconnect the nut and wire and repeat the measurement with the wire not touching the starter (this measurement should be 500,000 Ohms or more)

Let me know what you find

For reference the fuse shouldn't blow until you get to 40 amps

V = I * R

Rearrange to

V / I = R

12 / 40 = 0.3 Ohms

To blow that fuse the resistance should be 0.3 Ohms or lower

When I measure my old starter it is closer to 0.6 Ohms

Thanks

Paul

PS if you remove the small wire that the blue arrow is pointing at and connect that wire to the starter housing or engine block and you try to start the engine then the fuse will blow exactly as you are experiencing
I will do as instructed & post results.
Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me. You are a blessing. 💯💋

Old 12-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Forest Hawk,

Did you ever find the short to ground on your starter solenoid wire?

Take care

Paul

Old 12-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Overlanding

Forest Hawk,

Take care

Paul
My apologies, I have been sick with the flu. I did as instructed with multimeter, from starter to engine block & the meter would zero out . It would show numbers on screen but when I would touch any part of starter & then touch block, meter it would go to zero everytime.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Overlanding

Forest Hawk,

Take care

Paul
My apologies, I have been sick with the flu. I did as instructed with multimeter, from starter to engine block & the meter would zero out . It would show numbers on screen but when I would touch any part of starter & then touch block, meter it would go to zero everytime. Went ahead and took the starter back to swap out for new one, it should be here tomorrow. Not sure what to do next, any suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry to hear about the flu

If your meter can't measure the small resistance then you will need to inspect the small wire that connects to the starter and see if it is damaged.

If the copper strands are exposed and touching the engine then it will blow the fuse as you have experienced

Let us know what you find

Thanks

Paul

Old 12-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

There should not be anything near zero resistance between the hot terminal and the engine block. That just confirms there is a short somewhere. But you are not supposed to measure resistance between "any part of the starter" and anywhere else. You should put one lead of the meter directly on the nut where the arrow points in the picture and any metal on the engine. If you just put it anywhere on the starter casing it will show low resistance by design.

Last edited by flybd5; 12-10-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Forrest Hawk,

Did you every find and repair the short to ground for your starter motor solenoid wire or was the new starter actually bad?

Any update?

Thanks

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Forrest Hawk (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 2008 Lr2 Starting issues