LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 timing acceration issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR2 timing acceration issue

Hello, I am new at this forum, but here we go, I am a proud owner of a 2008 LR2 HSE, it was running great with no issues until 2 weeks ago, I started hearing a clicking noise which I attributed to the Generator Pulley on the side of the serpentine belt, I was driving and the belt shattered, the engine got hot immediately, and the car stopped accelerating, so I stopped and I had the car towed, anyways, after removing the ac compressor, the steering oil pump, the tension pulley and realized that the generator pulley attached to the camshaft and timing chain was coming apart, so I ordered and replaced the pulley. installed a new serpentine belt and the car ran, I took it on the road for testing, I realized that the car does not accelerate, it drives up to 10 20 miles but then pressing on the gas only make the engine rive up but no speed notice. it feels like I have a big load I pulling.
any help would be appreciated.
note the timing chain outer cover broke around behind the pulley, due to the pulley coming apart. for whatever that is worth.
help please

Hello, I am new at this forum, but here we go, I am a proud owner of a 2008 LR2 HSE, it was running great with no issues until 2 weeks ago, I started hearing a clicking noise which I attributed to the Generator Pulley on the side of the serpentine belt, I was driving and the belt shattered, the engine got hot immediately, and the car stopped accelerating, so I stopped and I had the car towed, anyways, after removing the ac compressor, the steering oil pump, the tension pulley and realized that the generator pulley attached to the camshaft and timing chain was coming apart, so I ordered and replaced the pulley. installed a new serpentine belt and the car ran, I took it on the road for testing, I realized that the car does not accelerate, it drives up to 10 20 miles but then pressing on the gas only make the engine rive up but no speed notice. it feels like I have a big load I pulling.
any help would be appreciated.
note the timing chain outer cover has broke when the pulley broke apart. for whatever that is worth.
help please

Last edited by ArmyRover; 08-08-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: duplicates
Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What is the mileage of this vehicle? Do you drive it in an area with special weather circumstances (extreme hot or cold, salt water)?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LR2driver
Welcome to the forum.

What is the mileage of this vehicle? Do you drive it in an area with special weather circumstances (extreme hot or cold, salt water)?
car has 149k, I live in a very moderate climate in central USA Michigan. The engine before the belt breaking it was running great no problem, the car lost horse power only after replacing the pulley and serpentine belt.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You stated: "pressing on the gas only make the engine rive up but no speed notice. it feels like I have a big load I pulling." If the engine revs up and there's no transfer of power it seems more like a transmission issue. Have you tried different settings on the Terrain Control settings to see if it makes a difference?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 AM
6th Gear

I did use the different settings, and I notice a response with the different settings.
the car drives and is responsive to pressing gas up to 20 miles, after that the car feels like it is pulling a super heavy load. I had it checked by a mechanic by scanning for error codes, and he said that it is showing timing error codes. and he said in order to adjust the timing, he has to drop the engine, and that is super expensive. let me also include this fact, as I was replacing the serpentine belt, we removed the tension pulley to wide clean the area. we put it back and installed the belt. also I noticed, if I use the Manuel shifting, it seems to drive a little more responsive because I control the shifting up as oppose to automatic shifting.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Drifting

I wonder if the timing chain skipped a tooth (maybe from being too loose) and that is what caused damage with the pulley initially? It is very tight under the hood but you may want to do some Google searches to see if an engine dropping is actually required to fix the timing issue.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:05 PM
6th Gear

i think you could be correct, I am having a hard time finding how to adjusting the timing chain without having to drop the engine, any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Drifting

I found this link that seems to suggest that engine removal isn't necessary but I can't say for sure: Land Rover Workshop Manuals > LR2 (LF) L6-3.2L (2008) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Timing Components > Timing Chain > Component Information > Service and Repair

You might call around to some independent Land Rover repair shops and get some other opinions.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 AM
6th Gear

i will check it out, I appreciate your help, I will update you. regards