LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2010 LR2 .25A draw kills battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 12:55 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p_gill
When the battery is drained the Voltage can dip too low while the starter motor is engaged.

The LR2 has a lot of modules that can latch up and then not shut down upon command when this happens.

I did get a warning light for the headlight leveling module once but it was due to a drained battery and after disconnecting the battery and charging it and then reconnecting everything was fine (Note: I may have replaced that battery soon after that)

Don't forget to do a hard reset (disconnect both leads at the battery and allow the Voltage of the LR2 to drop to Zero then reconnect)

And your LR2 may never go into sleep mode unless you lock it (which is difficult to do unless everything is closed)

The sleep mode will take sometime post locking.

Good luck

Paul

PS don't forget to bypass the fiber-optic connection of the modules with the loop back and also remove the electrical connection.
I appreciate all this info that I had no clue about, only dreaded lol.

She's been disconnected since I discovered she went completely dead except to start and move her (as it didn't make sense to allow a massive draw while connected) , and charge the battery each time. I've managed to improve the full charge stabilized no load voltage of the "not that old" battery from 12.18 to 12.49v with repeated "repair mode" charging using my Noco Genius g26000 charger.

Noco claims it's a microprocessor controlled de-sulfation charge cycle using higher voltages while disconnected from the vehicle as an attempt to improve battery status.

Next time I start her up I'll be sure the multimeter is on it so I can monitor voltage drop while cranking. I'll put more "repair" charge cycles over time while disconnected, hoping the voltage readings (taken after at least 8hrs with nothing connected) improve to closer to 12.6v if at all possible.

I also put the charger on the battery in normal "mode" while checking for the draw with the meter between the neg post and the ground cable because when I 1st started, it read ~4A then gradually dropped down in steps over time to a steady .25A, which I assume is what's draining it.

​​​​​​Thanks again Paul.

Jay

Old 11-23-2022, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts

Jay,

I prefer to use the term Voltage Dip (Battery can't supply the Volts ) instead of Voltage Drop (Voltage difference between two points with a current flowing)

For reference here is the VoltageDip at the battery when cranking
(note: my volt meter has a MIN function and that is what I used)

LR2________11.07 Volts (New battery)
A4 2.0T_____10.64 Volts MFG --> April 2019
328i________10.20 Volts Original battery from 2015
Jetta 1.8T____10.53 Volts Original battery from 2015

If you are in the 11.0 Volts or higher while cranking then I would continue to use that battery

Below 10.5 Volts and it is time to consider replacement

Here is the link that I originally posted

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37...ht=voltage+dip

Good Luck

Paul

Old 11-24-2022, 01:58 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p_gill
Jay,

I prefer to use the term Voltage Dip
Below 10.5 Volts and it is time to consider replacement

Here is the link that I originally posted

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37...ht=voltage+dip

Good Luck

Paul
Thanks Paul, I think I might need it. I guess when the previous owner said it was a fairly new battery, I consider that to be even 4 years old (time flies), which is not that new in LR2 years lol.

Yes voltage dip makes more sense as voltage drop would be the drop seen between any resistance. I'd planned on getting back to working on it Thursday in between kitchen duties so will discover more then.

Hope everyone has a great Thankgiving holiday!

Jay