LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2011 LR2 HDC Fault Unavailable, Will Not Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 LR2 HDC Fault Unavailable, Will Not Shift

Hello,
I have a 2011 LR2 with 117k miles. Last week I was pulling a trailer (light load) and the HDC Fault Unavailable message came on. I stopped to mow an account and when I left the ABS Light, Brake Light, HDC Fault, Traction Control, and Check Engine Light all illuminated. The vehicle would not shift out of first gear, then when my foot was off the accelerator it would accelerate, the vehicle was acting like it was possessed.

I took disconnected and was able to limp to AutoZone where they read the code and it was P0500 on the way to AutoZone the vehicle drove seemingly fine, and when I left the same thing. No acceleration, would not shift out of first gear, then all of the sudden it would accelerate on its own. I parked it for a couple of days until I was able to get it home.

I have searched this thread and started at the battery. The voltage was 12.2v sitting in the driveway, and 14.5v running. I replaced the battery and now the check engine light is off but I still have the ABS and HDC fault.

I looked at all the bulbs and found the third tail light burnt out and replaced it.

Took it for a ride around the block and the ABS light went away but still was showing the HDC fault. Halfway through my spin around the block the ABS Light, Amber Brake, and Traction Control light all came on and the vehicle will not shift out of first gear.

Any ideas where to start next?

Any help is so greatly appreciated!

Joe

Old 05-03-2022, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrow1881
Hello,
I have a 2011 LR2 with 117k miles. Last week I was pulling a trailer (light load) and the HDC Fault Unavailable message came on. I stopped to mow an account and when I left the ABS Light, Brake Light, HDC Fault, Traction Control, and Check Engine Light all illuminated. The vehicle would not shift out of first gear, then when my foot was off the accelerator it would accelerate, the vehicle was acting like it was possessed.
I took disconnected and was able to limp to AutoZone where they read the code and it was P0500 on the way to AutoZone the vehicle drove seemingly fine, and when I left the same thing. No acceleration, would not shift out of first gear, then all of the sudden it would accelerate on its own. I parked it for a couple of days until I was able to get it home.
I have searched this thread and started at the battery. The voltage was 12.2v sitting in the driveway, and 14.5v running. I replaced the battery and now the check engine light is off but I still have the ABS and HDC fault.
I looked at all the bulbs and found the third tail light burnt out and replaced it.
Took it for a ride around the block and the ABS light went away but still was showing the HDC fault. Halfway through my spin around the block the ABS Light, Amber Brake, and Traction Control light all came on and the vehicle will not shift out of first gear.
Any ideas where to start next?
Any help is so greatly appreciated!
Joe
That's why they call it "Limp Mode". Looks like the crash detection signal went off. It just has to be reset with a scanner that can talk to the LR2's computer. If you search the forum there's a bunch of other mentions of this.

The following users liked this post:
jkrow1881 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. I will definitely check this avenue out.

flybd5 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 03:35 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by flybd5
That's why they call it "Limp Mode". Looks like the crash detection signal went off. It just has to be reset with a scanner that can talk to the LR2's computer. If you search the forum there's a bunch of other mentions of this.
Does resetting Crash Mode require the JLR SDD software and Mongoose cable? Maybe it's about time I finally get one as I've seen enough of these problems reported on the forum that my number is probably coming up soon.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Depends. Sometimes there's an error an OBDII scanner can reset. Sometimes a battery reset will work. But most often you need the JLR SDD s/w and a Mongoose cable.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:52 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by flybd5
Depends. Sometimes there's an error an OBDII scanner can reset. Sometimes a battery reset will work. But most often you need the JLR SDD s/w and a Mongoose cable.
Got it. I downloaded the SDD160 iso you kindly made available. Now off to find a bargain on the Mongoose!

flybd5 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

IIRC you also need a heavy-duty power-supply to keep the ECU voltage at a safe level when using SDD. Otherwise you brick the ECU.

flybd5 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
IIRC you also need a heavy-duty power-supply to keep the ECU voltage at a safe level when using SDD. Otherwise you brick the ECU.
Correct, I just bought the Midtronics PSC-550 recommended in the service manual, used, for $350 on eBay. Not cheap but I can also use it for my other vehicles. Now I have to check how it's connected, if it's just positive to positive and negative to chassis ground.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e2/#post769069

^^^Positive to positive, neg to ground. I use the engine block but I also ran a second ground prior to said block.

flybd5 (05-05-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 11:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Do all bi-directional scanners require an independent power supply? I've never heard of that before now. Is this requirement unique to JLR SDD?

Or is the power supply only needed while programming LR2's systems, not for all the other functions?

Quick Reply: 2011 LR2 HDC Fault Unavailable, Will Not Shift