LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.
View Poll Results: Does Land Rover use Calipers that require winding back?
Rear Calipers YES
0%
Rear Calipers NO
0%
Both Front and Rear Capliers YES
0%
Both Front and Rear Calipers NO
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Freelander 2 (LR2) Replacing Rear Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Freelander 2 (LR2) Replacing Rear Brake Pads

Hi,

I have a 2015 Freelander 2 HSE in China that needs new brake pads

I took it to a shop to have the brake pads replaced. the front sets dropped right in with no issue. the Rear is where things got interesting... this vehicle is also equipped with the electronic parking brake system!

The on the Rear Calipers the mechanic was trying to use a wind back tool but could not find a 3 pin triangular pattern adapter in the Universal wind back kits. Do the USA LR2's have a similar caliper configuration or is this perhaps unique to China?

in searching the internet I found a three pin adjustable adapter for VW, but no reference of this style caliper being on a Land Rover.

Do I need this wind back tool?

In reviewing other posts it sounds like there needs to be a special process to retract the piston/solenoid to accept new pads or perhaps a special device.

Perhaps it is too complicated and why the local dealer wanted over $1000 to do the job.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Need a diagnostic tool to enter parking brake into service mode. Once in service mode, the pistons will push in like the fronts.

When pads are replaced, exit service mode with a diagnostic tool. Road test.

Do not try to remove the caliper without being in service mode. Pistons will shoot out the caliper.

The following users liked this post:
flyingscot (04-01-2022)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear brake pads Lr2 without diagnostic tool

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD
Need a diagnostic tool to enter parking brake into service mode. Once in service mode, the pistons will push in like the fronts.

When pads are replaced, exit service mode with a diagnostic tool. Road test.

Do not try to remove the caliper without being in service mode. Pistons will shoot out the caliper.
Dear all, I retractec mine by just removing the electric plug and put inside two insulated alligator clips over the male pin and with a small 12v battery I rewinded back the motor. Be carefull to put the correct polarity, test by tapping the negative on the battery and check visually if the piston move out, if it does reverse polarity. Before you rewind put a C clamp (the one you can squeeze manually by pressing the handle) as you apply power squeeze the piston back, as soon as the piston is all the way back remove power. I suggest you not to clip the alligator on the battery, but just hold it with you finger over the negative the reason is because once the motor is all the way back you can quickly remove power.
I did mine yesterday and it work perfect.
I hope it was helpfull.