LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Air filter changed then would not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 03:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter changed then would not start

Odd thing happened to me. I took my 2011 LR2 in for oil change a couple of weeks ago and they said I needed new air filter. They had to order it so I went back to get it out in yesterday and after they put it in the car would not start. I have rather new Green Top battery and they checked and it was fine. Ended up having to get it towed since they are just a quick oil change place.
They plan to check on the starter tomorrow but my question is maybe silly but what are the odds that they fiddle around and then it does not start? I thought it was pretty bizarre and of course he called his buddy the tow truck guy and I had to pay a fortune to get it back to where I live.
First time posting and I was reading thru the forums and also I know about Land Rovers always having the rep as breaking down. I could make a commercial for my LR2.
120k miles and have driven coast to coast several times, off road lots, have always kept up with maintenance but most I have had to do was brakes and tires, knocking on wood here. LOL
I LOVE it so much that I had an Evoque that was 5 years newer and when I moved back to this part of the country I kept the LR2 and sold Evoque.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:41 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Have them check to make sure that the connection for the MAF sensor did not come loose. I do not believe that the LR2 will start with a disconnected MAF sensor but I could be wrong. Some one with more knowledge will be by that will either confirm this or debunk it.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:52 PM
4wd Low

Thank you Thor! I will have them check it!

Old 08-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Winching
Received 264 Likes on 201 Posts

Yeah sounds like the plug for the MAF, won't start without that. They might have left it unplugged, or if they didn't bother to unplug it and just jerked the cover out of the way, they could have easily damaged the wires. Also they probably stripped the built-in plastic nuts that the cover screws go in to, I'd check those too.

I don't use the quick-lube places, ever. Well I did exactly once when I had a broken ankle in a cast... cost me a new clutch after they overfilled the oil and blew out the rear main. I *could* have changed the oil myself, even with a cast, and would do exactly that if I had to do it over again. Plenty of youtube videos showing why not to use those places.

The following users liked this post:
guy (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 AM
4wd Low

Thanks Merlin--I called the mechanic first thing since I am rural and he said he had never worked on one and based on your idea and same above from Thor--that is exactly what it was. MAF sensor unplugged.
Now I am mad that I had it towed 30 miles home. I am never using one of those places again no matter how limited I am in services.
Thanks!!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by globalgrl
Thanks Merlin--I called the mechanic first thing since I am rural and he said he had never worked on one and based on your idea and same above from Thor--that is exactly what it was. MAF sensor unplugged.
Now I am mad that I had it towed 30 miles home. I am never using one of those places again no matter how limited I am in services.
Thanks!!
They owe you the cost of the tow + mech fees

They paid for my clutch, reluctantly, but the shop documented the facts of the matter in writing.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM
4wd Low

Yeah, I agree. Going back there tomorrow to see. Not hopeful but will post.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by globalgrl
Yeah, I agree. Going back there tomorrow to see. Not hopeful but will post.
If they try to BS you and it's a national chain, contact their HQ.

guy (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM
4wd Low

Yes, It is Mobil 1 Lube Express. At first they said no but eventually they said they would give me a free oil change. I really don't want to go back to them at all but my LR2 uses 8 quarts of oil and that is around 100$ oil change.

Oh well..sure inconvenienced me!!

Old 08-11-2021, 07:24 AM
guy
Winching
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts

cut your loses. Be wiser for it.
Who’s to know the quality of the oil they would provide and the resultant wear on the engine. Let alone break something while under there.

Last edited by guy; 08-11-2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
globalgrl (08-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Air filter changed then would not start