LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

awful fuel consumtion

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awful fuel consumtion

since i couldn't find any other complains, may it is only our car problem... We have LR2 since July of 2007 and it was consuming between 11 to 13L per 10km at first. After 1 month it has jumped to 13-14, then 15, 16 and now it steadily 16.5-17. Another problem - it never updates on display. We can drive icy road, highway, stuck in traffic , whatever - it always will be almost same number. It was different, when we just bought the car. It could display 17L, when offroad and 10L when highway, which is reasonable. SErvice manager blaims me i am burning fuel and pressing on gas - all our friends are laughing when hear that, but he is absolutely serious. What can we do? Any ideas?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: awful fuel consumtion

If it was MPG I could help you, but I'm too lazy to do the calculations.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go see the dealer, it is under warranty, let them see what it is doing.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Overlanding

i went to the first scheduled service in the end of November and explained my problem, but they haven't fixed it and also keep trying to convince me, when i complain, that it may increase to 30% due to various conditions, like low temperature. My problem is that it should increase or descrease, when conditions are changing. Consumtion of 16L per 100km looks too high for the car with LR2 characteristics. Same cars form other manufacturers have 12-13L and it would be fine for us too.
Funny - when i got response on the average speed display, we were in the hotel 150km from the home. The whole ride there we were monitoring consumtion and it was 14.9L on highway, with speed 90kmh and temperature -10 Celsium. When we moved back and made computer reset to see the average speed, the fule consumtion display suddenly has been fixed! Same ride we made with average 9.4L per 100km, which is incredible! What does it mean? I wouldn't complain if it was only the wrong display, buti was filling tank every 450km for last two months and if it is computer, causes increasing injection, they should fix it. I've set an appointment, but they say that they will check gears. It looks like we are speking on different languages. Also, service manager doesn't know, how average speed display works and claims that it comprises average number for the month, which sounds like joke, unfortunately...
i am wondering, if no one experienced the same problem with LR2?

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Overlanding

The trip meter displays the distance the vehicle has traveled since the last tip meter reset. The trip meter can be reset by pressing and holding the trip computer button for more than 1 second. The trip meter can display up to a distance of 999.9 miles or kilometers. When this figure is exceeded the trip meter starts again from 0 miles or kilometers. The trip data is stored in the instrument cluster Random Access Memory (RAM) and will be lost if the battery is disconnected.

Average Fuel Consumption:
The instrument cluster receives 2 fuel tank level readings on the medium speed. The instrument cluster calculates an average value of the amount of usable fuel from the two signals. Every 200 meters of vehicle travel the instrument cluster re-calculates this value to determine how much fuel has been used. The value is then averaged over the last 31 miles (50 kilometers) of travel and displayed in the trip computer.
Average Speed:
The average speed is calculated using the vehicle speed signal supplied by the CJB over the medium speed CAN bus. This signal originates in the ABS module and is an average of the 4 wheel speed signals. This value is divided by the time since the last trip computer reset to calculate the average vehicle speed.
I hope this answers your questions re: average speed and average fuel consumption.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Drifting

I presume that is straight out of the owner's manual? I'd say, if you doubt the average MPL, then you should BOTH reset the display AND compute it by hand, from fillup to fillup over the next few weeks. Then, with that in hand, you can demonstrate to your dealer that the display is incorrect.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM
7th Gear

I've had my LR2 for 3 months now. I noticed that in city driving it says that the average fuel consumption for 100 km is 17.8L. I can only go about 400 kms on a full tank if I drive in the city. The lowest fuel consumption reading I have seen on my car to date is highway driving at 10.3L / 100 km.