LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Floating side to side on icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 05:04 PM
guy
Winching
Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Perhaps... but if its electronic, there is probably a code for wrongful operation. As I drive in all weather, in all road and off road conditions, I have never had this particular situation.
I took the opportunity to refresh myself on the Terrain Response operation in the Owner's manual, all I can come up with is it rightfully selected for the conditions.
General Program - for all dry road conditions.
Grass/Gravel/Snow - Firm surface covered with loose or slippery material. Truth be known, I am regularly in this setting.
Mud-Ruts - self describing.
Sand - self describing
Additionally, I prefer to drive with DSC off... always, as this is more intuitive for me.

I especially like the warning in the book about choosing the wrong setting.

Last edited by guy; 01-10-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

I thought we're talking about driving on icy roads. The car is supposed to do a fandango once in a while in those conditions.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-10-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 AM
guy
Winching
Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Is that Puerto Rican thinking? ;-). Coincidentally, I had an Uber driver take me home from the airport…. and to get away from every stop he would absolutely floor it, causing the wheels to spin like crazy… I found it quite comical. Clearly, its his first Canadian winter and he knows very little about the value of “grip” vs “slip”.
But the part I was annoyed about was once he got himself up to about 20mph, he would stay there claiming the roads are slippery…. his driving style was like a John Travolta dance as opposed to a waltz… he had no freakin clue.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by guy
Is that Puerto Rican thinking? ;-). Coincidentally, I had an Uber driver take me home from the airport…. and to get away from every stop he would absolutely floor it, causing the wheels to spin like crazy… I found it quite comical. Clearly, its his first Canadian winter and he knows very little about the value of “grip” vs “slip”.
But the part I was annoyed about was once he got himself up to about 20mph, he would stay there claiming the roads are slippery…. his driving style was like a John Travolta dance as opposed to a waltz… he had no freakin clue.
No, it's the Puerto Rican-who-has-driven-on-icy-roads-in-the-US-and-Eastern+Western-Europe thinking. ")

guy (01-12-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same!!

I have the exact same side to side almost fishtail feeling when I go over ice. Not the normal as I have always driven 4x4 or AWD SUVs. Very strange and scary.

Originally Posted by ThorInc
I don't think the haldex is confused so much as I think there maybe a short input lag that provides that 'drift sensation' on ice. This occurs specifically on iced untreated roads.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

So, according to a member of a different forum, it is the DSC system that get confused on icy roads, so, solution is to turn off the DSC when you are in these situations. I have not had to test it out this winter yet but, I will quite soon. You can just turn off while driving and it will automatically reinitialized when the car is started again or you can simply turn it back on while en route.

DSC = Dynamic Stability Control.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Interesting info in the service manual about DSC:

Dynamic Stability Control

If DSC is switched off (with the DSC switch adjacent to the Terrain Response rotary control) when using a Terrain Response special program, if the special program is subsequently changed for a different program, DSC is automatically switched back on.

The DSC uses different threshold values for the selected program to automatically reduce DSC intervention, removing the requirement for the driver to disable the DSC system in order to reduce engine intervention which is sometimes induced in extreme off-road conditions. In extreme sand conditions, there may be an additional benefit of disabling the DSC function using the DSC switch in addition to selecting the sand program.
In the Mud/Ruts program the DSC system is calibrated to tolerate a higher 'yaw' threshold. This allows a greater differential between the actual and desired wheel turning behavior before DSC intervenes. This allows the DSC system to ignore the effect of ruts 'jarring' the car or adjusting the front wheel steering angle.

The Terrain Response system can alter the balance between engine and brake intervention. For example, when the sand program is selected, the DSC system reduces its reliance on engine intervention and increases the use of brake intervention to maintain the vehicles momentum and prevent it from becoming bogged down if wheel slip is detected.

-------------

Although Land Rover recommend that DSC is selected on for all normal driving conditions, it may be beneficial to de-select DSC in order to maximize traction under the following conditions:
To rock the vehicle out of a hollow or a soft surface.
  • When driving on loose surfaces or with snow chains installed.
  • When driving in deep sand, snow or mud.
  • When driving on tracks with deep longitudinal ruts.
Even when DSC is deselected, driving maneuvers with extreme yaw or lateral acceleration may trigger RSC activity to assist the vehicle stability.

To prevent mis-use of, or in the event of a broken DSC switch, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is stored in the ABS module memory if the input from the DSC switch is held high for more than 1 minute.

There is a lot more info. Search for "Dynamic Stability Control". It interesting reading.

guy (12-05-2022)