LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Gen 3 Haldex Pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gen 3 Haldex Pump question

"Morning Everyone.
I have a question regarding the Gen 3 Haldex pump. I am going to service the filter this weekend and will pull the flange to get the pump out. I have a new seal for the flange. I plan to test the pump with 12 V to make sure it is not frozen. But if it is, I would like to replace it before the driveshaft goes back in. Has anyone used the Volvo pump? Appears to be Dorman #699-002, or 30783079, or 7F9Z4C019A. The plug looks the same as on the LR003147 but the pump end where the filter mounts is a bit different.
I've been searching around an I think I found one person that put a Gen4 pump in a Gen3 but not sure if it was ever done or worked out.
Thank you for any input.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Winching
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Gen 3 parts should be the same for LR and Volvo.

Possible that your old part was superseded by a later version which looks a little different. If you can verify that it works on a Volvo gen3 it should work on a LR gen 3 as well.

Not sure about gen4 parts on a gen3.

The following users liked this post:
guy (08-23-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Thanks. Once I get the pump out to clean the filter I will compare it to pics online. Hopefully it will work by jumping with a battery so i can reuse it.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Follow up on this project:
I have a set of 5000 lb Quick Jacks to get the car about 2’ in the air measured at the pinch weld. It make working underneath much easier. Also the driveshaft was also removed from the car by a PO. There is no way to do this with the driveshaft in the way.
I purchased a Haldex kit on eBay.
First task was to check the little motor with a 12V battery. Used a couple of 1/16 cotter pins to probe the plug and jumped it to the battery. The little motor whirred away and passed the first test.
The rest of the project was just R&R of the components. The input flange needs to be removed to get the pump out. A 24mm or 15/16 socket worked. I used a band wrench and electric impact to get the nut off.
Used a brass punch and hammer to get the flange off. Did not take long.
The pump filter was not too dirty but it was removed and cleaned. Put new O-rings from the kit.
The filter was the usual PIA as shown on many YouTube videos. I ended up drilling a few 1/4” holes in the stuck white plastic pastry and pried it out. The old filter was dirty.
After this part I put the new input seal in place and reassembled the new filter, cover and clean pump.
I noticed not much fluid came out of the pump of filter.
Re attaching the motor plug was a bit difficult as there seems to have been some debris on top of the Haldex controller preventing the plug from seating. After a few minutes I got it cleaned off and plugged in.
Filling the Haldex was not difficult at all. Pumped in nearly the entire liter of fluid before it trickled out of the fill port.
Now for the moment of truth. Started the engine and put the dial into snow mode. First thing I noticed was NO HDC ERROR!. Cool we’re on the right track. Then I went unde the car to rotate the input flange by hand (still no driveshaft). After about a half turn the Haldex clutches kicked in and the rear wheels were connected to the input shaft. This is way more that before as the input would never connect to the output.
It is going to be a while before the driveshaft is reinstalled so after it is done I will recheck the fluid level.
Another project done!

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (08-28-2022)