LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Electrical GREMLINS

Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please delete

Last edited by tyler durden; 06-28-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: posted in wrong forum
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Wrong subforum btw...

Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM
4wd Low
Default LR2 Electrical GREMLINS

Hello all. I am looking for some help on behalf of my wife's 2008 LR2 78k mi. She has had it in and out of the shop and dealer with no real solution. She has a handful of what appear to all be unrelated issues that I asked her to document over the past year. Any insight would be helpful as we have it over at the indy shop again. She really likes this car and it has served us well the past 9 years, however, these recent problems with no solution are becoming an issue.
Thank you!

The most common problem (becoming more and more frequent in recent weeks)

While driving, the radio and nav system randomly turn off.
This sometimes happens several times within the span of 10 minutes, and sometimes I go for several days without this happening.
Sometimes the radio and nav turn back on in a couple of seconds, sometimes it takes several minutes.
Sometimes it happens when I hit a bump, sometimes it happens when I'm on a smooth highway.
This is sometimes preceded by one high-pitched beep, or sometimes 3 beeps (not as high of a tone) and an error message about "HCD Fault Error. Special Programs Off".
No radio presets are lost - even the clock comes back to the correct time (with some exceptions) - but it never goes back to 12:00.
Sometimes when the radio turns back on, the seatbelt and airbag icons are lit up in red and stay that way for the rest of my drive.
Sometimes the dashboard lights flicker dimly while I'm driving

Less common issues (although more frequent just this week)

Sometimes when I shut off my car I am unable to eject my key. Typically if I just restart my car and then turn it back off again I am able to eject my key.
Twice this week I was unable to eject my key AND unable to re-start my car. The key was stuck in the ignition but no matter what I did, I could not re-start the engine. Everything seemed "dead" - the clock/radio, the dashboard, interior lights - no signs of life. After several (panicked) minutes, I could see that the clock turned back on and I was able to re-start my car. In this case, the clock "lost" the same number of minutes that it was shut down for, so my clock would be approx 5 minutes slow.
Just today the situation listed above happened to me but for the first time, when my car "came back to life" my whole dashboard stayed dark - no speedometer, no odometer, no oil pressure gauge, no info. Oddly enough though, the radio and nav worked.
Other random occurrences
Over the past couple of years, the fuse for the electric seat adjustments has blown 4 times. I just replace the fuse and it works for a while but inevitably it blows again.
Recently for the first time, the fuse for the sunroof blew and needed to be replaced in order to close the sunroof. That was last week and now it seems that it's blown again because I cannot open the sunroof.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:14 PM
4wd Low

Whoops, thanks for pointing that out. I moved it over to LR2-

Old 07-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

The only time I experienced intermittent electrical problems (e.g., radio cutting out) was right after I installed a non-OEM coil pack, which sits on top of the spark plugs. When I replaced it with an OEM coil pack, the electrical problems disappeared. I speculated that the non-OEM coil pack was not calibrated to the specs the ECM/ECU was expecting, but I really don't know for sure.

If you recently replaced any of your electrical system components with non-OEM parts, that might be a place to start. Please post back and let us know when you find a solution.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM
4wd Low

I just wanted to close the loop on this mystery. The wife took her LR2 in again a few weeks ago for the same electrical issues, this time I requested that a new battery be installed if the symptoms were not identified and fixed. Well, 3 weeks later and it is trouble free. It is now in the shop for some crunching / knocking noise from the right side of the engine. Suspecting it might be idler tension, timing chain tensioner or spun camshaft bearing.