LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 hesitation when starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still resolved?

Has there been any starting issues since the spark plugs have been replaced?

Originally Posted by LR2driver
Update [SOLVED]: I had my 2008 LR2 into the dealer for the 75K mile routine service where they replaced the spark plugs (per maintenance schedule). Following this change, my LR2 starts up like when it was new! No hesitation anymore. So it must have been the plugs. I only wish I asked them to save the old plugs for me so I could visually check if they appeared fouled. I would have been better off changing the plugs at 50K miles, but I didn't realize that bad plugs are a common cause of starting problems. I should have thought of this as the battery and starter tested OK. Live and learn.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Sampson
Has there been any starting issues since the spark plugs have been replaced?
Yes, a couple times when I attempted to start the engine, all the dashboard indicator lights would come on and the engine would not crank. After waiting a moment and trying again, it started.

After about 6 months, it would not start at all. There was no engine crank or other sounds. The battery was tested and had a full charge. The problem was a failed starter motor. So I had to flatbed the vehicle to the dealer to have them replace the starter. They didn't stock them, so I had to wait a day for them to get one.

This starter replacement is the only major repair I've had for this vehicle. Everything else has been maintenance and replacement of wear items. It's been starting fine since the starter was replaced a couple months ago.

The following users liked this post:
Nate Sampson (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LR2driver
Yes, a couple times when I attempted to start the engine, all the dashboard indicator lights would come on and the engine would not crank. After waiting a moment and trying again, it started.

After about 6 months, it would not start at all. There was no engine crank or other sounds. The battery was tested and had a full charge. The problem was a failed starter motor. So I had to flatbed the vehicle to the dealer to have them replace the starter. They didn't stock them, so I had to wait a day for them to get one.

This starter replacement is the only major repair I've had for this vehicle. Everything else has been maintenance and replacement of wear items. It's been starting fine since the starter was replaced a couple months ago.
My LR2 has had similar starting issues over the past year or so. Battery has always checked out fine, so I figured it's most likely the starter. I'll swap the plugs out first and see how it goes. Thanks for the update.