LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 hesitation when starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Default LR2 hesitation when starting engine

I have a 2008 LR2. When I press the Start button, the engine hesitates for a second like it's not going to start. And then VROOM, it always starts. It's been doing this for the past year. The battery has been checked and it's strong.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just brought my 201 in for service for something similar. When I start it in the morning the starter is a little slow like it was drawing off a weakened battery. After that it's fine. They tested the battery and it's fine. They said don't worry about it.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Winching

If we ever want to sell our vehicles, we are going to have a difficult time because any buyer who takes a test drive is not going to want to have anything to do with a vehicle that sounds like it has an ignition/starter problem. So I would really like to understand what this problem is and how to fix it. It's interesting to learn that it's happening to others.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Update: I went to start the car yesterday and it wouldn't light. I had it jumped and drove it to the repair garage. The battery still tested strong but they swapped it anyway given that it may have a bad cell that affects the performance when it has been sitting idle for a few days.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

SECOND UPDATE: I think I may still have a problem. After sitting in the garage over the weekend I started it this morning and the battery seemed to be drawn down somewhat. I wouldn't think that it would do that for not being run for only a couple of days.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Winching

Check TSB LTB00391 to see if it applies to your situation. A copy can be found in this post.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e2/#post419529

Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you! Will do.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had my guess I say starter problem
Just a bad starter slow crank and lights dim as the vehicle
Cranks over.
Caution crash status. May happen if you don't do something
Soon

Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR2driver
I have a 2008 LR2. When I press the Start button, the engine hesitates for a second like it's not going to start. And then VROOM, it always starts. It's been doing this for the past year. The battery has been checked and it's strong.

Does this happen to anyone else?
UPDATE: I thought the problem might have been the fuel I was using. So as a test, I switched from Arco mid-grade (89) to the more expensive Shell mid-grade. Arco and Shell use different refineries and different additivies. After a few tankfuls, no difference.

Then I started to use the higher grade (91) Premium gas, thinking it might be the octane level. After a few tanks, still no difference.

So I've eliminated the type of fuel as a cause. But I'm still having this minor, yet annoying problem.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Winching

Update [SOLVED]: I had my 2008 LR2 into the dealer for the 75K mile routine service where they replaced the spark plugs (per maintenance schedule). Following this change, my LR2 starts up like when it was new! No hesitation anymore. So it must have been the plugs. I only wish I asked them to save the old plugs for me so I could visually check if they appeared fouled. I would have been better off changing the plugs at 50K miles, but I didn't realize that bad plugs are a common cause of starting problems. I should have thought of this as the battery and starter tested OK. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: LR2 hesitation when starting engine