LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Install OEM Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 Install OEM Sirius

Hi All,
I just picked up my beautiful new LR2 Stornoway gray with cold pack only. I absolutely love this SUV/4x4 ( not a truck ..LOL). Wow, it rides amazing and just a pleasure to own.

Now the tricky part,..I didn't need navigation, couldn't afford it and didn't want to spend $4000 us for it, but I still miss my XM/Sirius radio.

Anyone know how or if its possible to purchase the OEM installation of Sirius alone? I'm guessing it would require the roof top receiver and some kind of reprogramming of the electronics. I sarched around but found no information. I know I can buy a portable from any electronics store and stick on the windshield but I love the Integration of with the steering wheel, etc. Soooo, any thoughts?

thanks a bunch,
Keith (Massachusetts, USA)

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: LR2 Install OEM Sirius

I just spoke to both my local LR dealer and they said I'd have to replace the entire radio which would cost "thousands". They referred me to a special Land Rover and Porche after market installer who does all their Range Rover custom work and even he said it wouldn't be what I wanted. The best he could do would be a tuner unit in the trunk but I would still have to have a separate screen (where the nav would normally go) and not be able to change stations, etc. with the steering wheel controls. and that would be $700 range.

So my best option is sounding like buying the cheap plug and play unit from Best buy and plug it into my Aux input somehow. Its so frustrating that the LR2 just didnt' come with at least sirius included.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:40 AM
4th Gear

Just a quickie followup,
I spoke to Land Rover USA yesterday and two dealers in my area. turns out installing an aftermarket Satellite radio (sirius or XM) similar to this immediately voids your warranty. Yikes! Looks like I'll have to resort the basic plug and play sirius tuner like this one. Oh well. Overall I absolutely love this vehicle this is no big deal.

Regards,
K

Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Keith, your problem is exactly the reason why we loaded our LR2 with every option available. We used to own a Freelander HSE, and found that aftermarket parts would void our warranties. So when we ordered the RR SC and my new LR2, we didn't hesitate to load it with every conceivable option, even those we thought we wouldn't have much need for. In addition, after talking to our sales rep, whose opinion we trust a lot, we discovered that resale goes down, rather than up, with aftermarket parts installed in most RRSC's or LR2's.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: u2fan1967

I just spoke to both my local LR dealer and they said I'd have to replace the entire radio which would cost "thousands"...
Am I the only one skeptical of this answer? I'd bet that these cars are pre-wired for every conceivable option and the addition of a OEM satellite radio system isn't much more than plugging in an OEM module into an existing harnesssomewhere.

Now, whether anyone will actually SELL you such a module is another story entirely.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: u2fan1967

Hi All,
I just picked up my beautiful new LR2 Stornoway gray with cold pack only. I absolutely love this SUV/4x4 ( not a truck ..LOL). Wow, it rides amazing and just a pleasure to own.

Now the tricky part,..I didn't need navigation, couldn't afford it and didn't want to spend $4000 us for it, but I still miss my XM/Sirius radio.

Anyone know how or if its possible to purchase the OEM installation of Sirius alone? I'm guessing it would require the roof top receiver and some kind of reprogramming of the electronics. I sarched around but found no information. I know I can buy a portable from any electronics store and stick on the windshield but I love the Integration of with the steering wheel, etc. Soooo, any thoughts?

thanks a bunch,
Keith (Massachusetts, USA)

I did exactly what you did, and like you, now think I should have added both the Nav and Sat radio. My service rep said no can do, although I got the feeling he was instructed to say that.

I had a similar problem with my Freelander...mine originally had the single CD unit, and I was able to buy the 6 CD version on eBay (for $100.00...a steal) but was never able to install an OEM subwoofer because a wiring harness wasn't factory installed.

Could this be the reason you can't retrofit the Nav & Sat systems on the LR2?