LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Rear Differential Repair - for impacted owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default LR2 Rear Differential Repair - for impacted owners

The auto owner's forums are filled with reports of the rear diff failure on the LR2 which is costing owner's thousands to replace. If your vehicle has been diagnosed with this problem or you have already paid for the repair, it's important that you file a complaint to bring visibility to this problem that Land Rover is not taking care of. In fact, this expensive repair has become a profit center for Land Rover dealers who are not advocating on behalf of owners.

Please use this link to document your experience as a "Vehicle Complaint":

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Generally, recalls occur for safety issues and this problem may be more in the category of a design or manufacturing defect. The other remedy is a class action lawsuit which will have greater potential for success if enough owners raise their hands to be counted and complain. A list of complaints on the NHTSA website is a strong message that can be leveraged in a lawsuit.

If you already paid for this repair, save your receipt. You might be eligible for partial or total reimbursement if a settlement is ever reached.

Please take a moment to file a complaint if you have been a victim of this widespread problem. It will draw attention to the situation with a chance that Land Rover might finally step up and correct it.

Last edited by LR2driver; 01-12-2014 at 08:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LR2driver:
guy (05-14-2019), MPLSRover (01-26-2016), NENYMA (03-11-2016)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll subscribe to this. The rear diff problem is next in line on the lr2 schedule of problems. I've already crossed off airbag sensors, gas caps, fuel sending unit, software updates, battery dying after zero notice, and the coolant hose/alternator 2for 1. I'm probably next in line for this one..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Overlanding

It's important to get the rear diff module reprogrammed this helps.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got a few of these diffs available.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LR2driver
The auto owner's forums are filled with reports of the rear diff failure on the LR2 which is costing owner's thousands to replace. If your vehicle has been diagnosed with this problem or you have already paid for the repair, it's important that you file a complaint to bring visibility to this problem that Land Rover is not taking care of. In fact, this expensive repair has become a profit center for Land Rover dealers who are not advocating on behalf of owners.

Please use this link to document your experience as a "Vehicle Complaint":

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Generally, recalls occur for safety issues and this problem may be more in the category of a design or manufacturing defect. The other remedy is a class action lawsuit which will have greater potential for success if enough owners raise their hands to be counted and complain. A list of complaints on the NHTSA website is a strong message that can be leveraged in a lawsuit.

If you already paid for this repair, save your receipt. You might be eligible for partial or total reimbursement if a settlement is ever reached.

Please take a moment to file a complaint if you have been a victim of this widespread problem. It will draw attention to the situation with a chance that Land Rover might finally step up and correct it.
Just had mine replaced at 35k miles. Logged a complaint at the link above, and can't believe only two others have done so. Given the apparent high number of repairs, would think there would be many more.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:23 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also logged my complaint. This is crazy and my dealer was not very helpful, other than they said. We have seen this a lot.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 PM
4wd Low

I had mine replaced at about 60k miles. They wanted $6k -- and I said -- I purchased my 2010 LR2 with a warranty. Therefore, the company paid for it.
Since this is a known issue, the warranty company would only put in a a used diff with about 35k miles. If I wanted a new one, I would have to pay another $2k.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Overlanding

I was offered a warranty when I bought my LR2, but reading the fine print, it seemed to leave quite a few important things out. Only allowing a used unit seems to be a bit of a ripoff--a new diff for mine was just over $2k.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my 08 lr2 with 90k miles. Wonder if the diff on mine has been replaced already.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by samfb24
Bought my 08 lr2 with 90k miles. Wonder if the diff on mine has been replaced already.
This might help. Here is a link to a post I made showing my original diff. You could compare with your current one to see if there are any differences, but not sure how different the replacement unit looks.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...43/#post440298

Quick Reply: LR2 Rear Differential Repair - for impacted owners