LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

No fuel mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 08:39 PM
|
Drifting
Default update

so.... I have swapped out the fuel rail pressure sensor and no go. i kind of expected that. I tested the fuse 22 in the cjb and have 12 there. i pulled the connector on the fpdc(fuel pump driver controller) and tested upon turning the ignition to on. i got power for approx 2 seconds and then it went away. So up to this point, im good. Time to test power at the pump delivery module? thoughts? Thank you

Old 10-12-2022 | 10:44 PM
Winching

Try the computer reset with the battery terminals again.

Old 10-13-2022 | 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
so.... I have swapped out the fuel rail pressure sensor and no go. i kind of expected that. I tested the fuse 22 in the cjb and have 12 there. i pulled the connector on the fpdc(fuel pump driver controller) and tested upon turning the ignition to on. i got power for approx 2 seconds and then it went away. So up to this point, im good. Time to test power at the pump delivery module? thoughts? Thank you
This looks like a fuel pump failure.

Old 10-14-2022 | 06:02 PM
|
Drifting

Where is the location closest to the pump that I can test for power? Is it not an unlikely coincidence to have been receiving the p0193 code just as the pump is about to fail? Doesn’t that sound more like haywire electronics stacking failure on failure?

Old 10-14-2022 | 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
Where is the location closest to the pump that I can test for power? Is it not an unlikely coincidence to have been receiving the p0193 code just as the pump is about to fail? Doesn’t that sound more like haywire electronics stacking failure on failure?
The plug to the pump is on the top, you should see it as soon as you open the cover under the rear cargo area liner.

Old 10-15-2022 | 05:43 PM
|
Drifting

So I’ve spent the afternoon identifying corresponding cable ends at the pump and at the pump control module. I believe I’ve identified which two contacts are pump power, because they are the only two that show any resistance, they are the two largest blades, and they are receiving 8v-9v for 2 seconds when I turn the car on. I was thinking I could set up a lead to direct connect battery to pump and test the pump that way, but that won’t be adequate in this scenario because the pump is a
pulse-width type pump that runs on pulses of ac or 3 phase dc. Does anyone have a link they can share with me that would show me specifically what the designation or duty is for each contact or terminal on the connectors at the pump control module and the fuel delivery module? I believe I’m getting close to being sure of my diagnosis but not till I understand everything going on with the power on each cable. Thanks very much.

Old 10-15-2022 | 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench

If the connectors show power, and you're getting no fuel, then you have one of two problems -- a bad pump, or the fuel line is blocked somewhere.

Did you check to see if there's a vacuum of any kind in the tank?

Old 10-15-2022 | 06:51 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by flybd5
If the connectors show power, and you're getting no fuel, then you have one of two problems -- a bad pump, or the fuel line is blocked somewhere.

Did you check to see if there's a vacuum of any kind in the tank?
I may sound like a newbie, because I am: how would I go about checking? There’s a breather tube in the access port under the seat…

Old 10-15-2022 | 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench

I think that breather tube goes to the evap system filter, then from there it goes to the purge valve near the throttle body. If it's clogged it may keep the engine from starting because the fuel system has no return line.

One way to tell is to open the gas cap. If you can hear rush of air going in, the evap system is not working right. It's usually the purge valve that's gone bad. It's a $25 fix.

Old 10-16-2022 | 12:47 AM
|
Drifting

I have had the cap off the filler tank several times since the last time the vehicle started and I wasn’t paying attention to listen for a rush of air. But that breather tube I noticed is extremely hard when squeezed. As if it was under pressure. Does that sound normal?

Quick Reply: No fuel mystery