LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

No fuel mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022 | 07:50 PM
|
Drifting
Default No fuel mystery

Hey all. I’m new to the forum . My 2008 LR2 is giving me trouble. It will not start. About 2 months ago my issues started with a couple hiccups while driving , and my check engine light. My OBD2 told me the code was for the fuel rail pressure sensor high bank 1. I reset the light and didn’t have any trouble for another week or so. Then for the past few weeks I would get that same code and the hesitations and hiccups became a little more frequent. I haven’t had a chance to swap the sensor and based on what I’ve read in the forums, was not convinced the issue was actually in the sensor itself. Then a few days ago I went out in the morning and the car wouldn’t start. Turning over fine but that’s it. But no code. I disconnected the battery and zero’d out the voltage with cables, I assumed the computer had reset because when I connected the cables the car started up fine and drove fine that day. The same thing happened the following morning where the car would not start and so again I disconnected the battery and reset the Pmu By shorting cables together. My plan was to limp along like that for a couple more days until I had a weekday off of work and could actually pay some attention to it. However this morning when I went out to start it and go to work I assumed I would have to go through the same Course of action, however this time disconnecting the battery and shorting the cables did not do the trick. I was able to deduce that there is indeed no pressure in the fuel rail when trying to start the vehicle. I think I can hear the fuel pump as a high frequency wine when I Have the ignition engaged but I’m not 100% sure that it’s the pump that I’m hearing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Edit: one more thing: still getting no codes on the OBD2. Do we think it’s just the sensor? I ordered one last week. Supposed to be here tomorrow

Last edited by Ddogmatic; 10-09-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2022 | 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
Hey all. I’m new to the forum . My 2008 LR2 is giving me trouble. It will not start. About 2 months ago my issues started with a couple hiccups while driving , and my check engine light. My OBD2 told me the code was for the fuel rail pressure sensor high bank 1. I reset the light and didn’t have any trouble for another week or so. Then for the past few weeks I would get that same code and the hesitations and hiccups became a little more frequent. I haven’t had a chance to swap the sensor and based on what I’ve read in the forums, was not convinced the issue was actually in the sensor itself. Then a few days ago I went out in the morning and the car wouldn’t start. Turning over fine but that’s it. But no code. I disconnected the battery and zero’d out the voltage with cables, I assumed the computer had reset because when I connected the cables the car started up fine and drove fine that day. The same thing happened the following morning where the car would not start and so again I disconnected the battery and reset the Pmu By shorting cables together. My plan was to limp along like that for a couple more days until I had a weekday off of work and could actually pay some attention to it. However this morning when I went out to start it and go to work I assumed I would have to go through the same Course of action, however this time disconnecting the battery and shorting the cables did not do the trick. I was able to deduce that there is indeed no pressure in the fuel rail when trying to start the vehicle. I think I can hear the fuel pump as a high frequency wine when I Have the ignition engaged but I’m not 100% sure that it’s the pump that I’m hearing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Edit: one more thing: still getting no codes on the OBD2. Do we think it’s just the sensor? I ordered one last week. Supposed to be here tomorrow
A whine should not be heard from the fuel pump. It sounds like the pump was giving up the ghost and finally died. If you ordered the sensor then try that, but if that doesn't work prepare for a good chunk of work. To R&R the pump you have to drop the fuel tank. What code did you get that suggested it was the sensor? What are you using to read the codes?

Old 10-09-2022 | 09:51 PM
Winching

Yeah, replace the sensor, they tend to fail somewhere north of 100K anyway and it's an easy DIY.

But the usual sensor failure mode results in intermittent poor driveability, hesitation at higher speed. This doesn't sound like that.

Old 10-09-2022 | 10:25 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by flybd5
A whine should not be heard from the fuel pump. It sounds like the pump was giving up the ghost and finally died. If you ordered the sensor then try that, but if that doesn't work prepare for a good chunk of work. To R&R the pump you have to drop the fuel tank. What code did you get that suggested it was the sensor? What are you using to read the codes?
I probably shouldn’t have used the word whine. It’s the same high frequency , but quiet sound that has been there since day 1. So I’m definitely not concerned about the presence of that sound. I’d be more concerned about it’s absence. The code is the p0193 “ fuel rail pressure sensor high bank 1” which, from what I’ve read on this forum, is common for this model, and doesn’t always mean the sensor is the actual problem. But yes, thank you, I will swap the sensor, it is an easy job, and anticipate a possible pump change. Hope not.

Old 10-09-2022 | 10:36 PM
|
Drifting

Isn’t it strange that the OBD2 is producing no codes even though something is happening cause if a lack of fuel at the rail? My reader is nothing too special but it is a recommended model . Made by Ancel for around $100.

Old 10-09-2022 | 10:38 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Yeah, replace the sensor, they tend to fail somewhere north of 100K anyway and it's an easy DIY.

But the usual sensor failure mode results in intermittent poor driveability, hesitation at higher speed. This doesn't sound like that.
I hear you there. It definitely was a fit for symptoms at first. But now that it won’t start idk what to think. I hate coincidences, I usually don’t believe in them. 🙂

Old 10-10-2022 | 01:11 AM
Winching

You may not get a code for a dodgy fuel sensor. But the live data of the fuel pressure will tell a story. Most OBD2 scanners will display live data. You can read more here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...cement-108009/

Last edited by LR2driver; 10-10-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2022 | 10:33 AM
Winching

OK, so if it's the fuel pump in the tank, that only kicks in if you run the tank below the half way mark. Easy to eliminate. General consensus, fuel pressure located on the right of the fuel rail. Well know failure point and lines up with you codes to boot. Really easy to get to.

Last edited by ThorInc; 10-10-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR2driver
You may not get a code for a dodgy fuel sensor. But the live data of the fuel rail pressure will tell a story. Most OBD2 scanners will display live data. You can read more here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...cement-108009/
Yes, the car does not know that the sensor is bad. It's simply reacting to what the sensor is telling it and trying it's best to adjust. The failure mode is usually intermittent but I'm sure it could just go hard-over eventually.

Last edited by merlinj79; 10-10-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2022 | 05:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
I probably shouldn’t have used the word whine. It’s the same high frequency , but quiet sound that has been there since day 1. So I’m definitely not concerned about the presence of that sound. I’d be more concerned about it’s absence. The code is the p0193 “ fuel rail pressure sensor high bank 1” which, from what I’ve read on this forum, is common for this model, and doesn’t always mean the sensor is the actual problem. But yes, thank you, I will swap the sensor, it is an easy job, and anticipate a possible pump change. Hope not.
P0193 only has two causes, either the sensor is bad or the wiring to the sensor has a short somewhere. Check the connector as well.

Quick Reply: No fuel mystery