LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Oh no...not again.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no...not again.

I got my LR2 in Nov 2007, and up to now it has been fantastic to drive, unlike my 2004 Freelander (need I say more). Anyway, the other day I got a Transmission fault warning (reduced traction), that wouldn't reset. I brought it into the dealership and after doing the software update they also decided to replace the rear diff oil pressure sensor(?)... a small item that was showing an intermittant fault. They called me yesterday and told me the car would be ready for pickup today. When I get there, they tell me that the LR tech center called them back and advised them to replace the rear diff, but it would take 7 to 10 days, not because they didn't have the diff, but because they didn't have the proper rear diff oil.

Apparently there is none in North America!!! They'll have to ship it from the U.K.

Why do I have that foreboding feeling I had the whole time I owned the Freelander?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Oh no...not again.

UPDATE:

So the mysterious differential oil has arrived...but all is not well in LR country. Seems that between my last chat with the Service Dep't a week ago and last Friday, the Tech Center has again intervened in the repair process. Now they have instructed the dealership not to install a whole rear transaxle, but instead order the rear differential oil pump that rides on the side of the rear differential housing.

AGAIN this part is a special order from the U.K. While I appreciate the fact they are trying to get this repair correct, I find it laughable that it should take so long. The car was brought into the dealership on Feb. 6 and now I've been told not to expect the car until March at the earliest.

These are indeed the stories I used to get when I owned the Freelander.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Overlanding

FINALLY!!! Today I got my lr2 back. Twenty-two days in the shop, waiting for parts from the U.K. that LR apparently elected to ship surface instead of air. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. They rented a Jag for me for 22 days instead of sending the parts via air.

The final diagnosis was as follows:

6900 - Rear diff pump and pressure sensor fault P1889-14. Hook up ids and access fault code P1889-14, call tech line and perform test as instructed, found sensor open circuit. Replace pressure sensor, clear codes and road test vehicle. Code came back after 5 min. driving, perform additional test and call tech line. Trace fault to faulty oil pressure pump in rear diff unit.

Hopefully, somebody at LR sees fit to stock these items in North America, or at least open an account with FedEx Air.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Overlanding

Hey saqqara lights,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Although as not only a new LR2 owner but one who is new to Land Rover as a whole it scares me a bit. While I admit that my last car - an entry level Ford - spent a lot of time at the dealership for many, many problems (boy, did they lose money on that extended warranty they sold me!) - the longest parts delay I've ever experienced was 48 hours to bring a part from Toronto to Calgary.

I see from your last post that in your case the dealer rented you a Jaguar for the duration of the ordeal but my question to you (and the forum in general) is "Are they compelled to do that?" In other words, if I have a warranty issue that makes the vehicle undrivable will they always get you a replacement at their cost or do you just have a nice, proactive dealer?

\|/ Jeff \|/

Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Overlanding

Hi:

I wouldn't say they are compelled to...the dealership I used to go to for the bulk of the time I owned my Freelander used to stick me with a Hyundai Accent. Unfortunately, this dealership refused to acknowledge that the Freelander needed a new engine, forcing me to switch dealerships. Even with the lowly Freelander the new dealership gave me a Dodge Magnum to drive around while they re-did the engine. I purchased the LR2 from the new dealership, and have been getting a Jag as a loaner car ever since.

I hope I don't sound whiny about the level of service I've received, I just can't understand how 21 days of a Jag rental is cheaper than air freight for some oil and a small pump...but, that's their business not mine.

If I could offer a word of advice, become very familiar with the various LR forums, and keep abreast of the range of problems that might arise with the LR2. Had I not done that, I would have continued to be strung along by a less than reputable dealership, and had to foot a huge bill for an out of warranty engine replacement. Because of the knowledge I gleaned from those sites I was able to put forth an argument (with plenty of supporting evidence) that ensured I was able to get the engine in the Freelander replaced under warranty.

BTW: The LR2 is light years ahead of the Freelander in every respect. Fantastic vehicle, I just hope my problems are over with.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Overlanding

Just wanted to add something about service.

I've had a few minor things happen to my LR2, mostly just my nit picking. The first time I took it in they stuck me in a Sebring. Sucks driving a car when you usually always drive an SUV. And the car sucked.The second time, I told my Service writer I'd rather get a ride home and drive my back up car, a 2002 VW Jetta (whic yes, is a car but more fun to drive than a sebring). He stuck me in an LR3. He said wll I have to do is ask for a Land Rover and that's what they'll give me. Essentially, the rental expense goes back to the manufacturer, just like the warranty costs.

And I'll bet they stock other LR parts. Seems newest model would have the least issues and the smallest stocked items.